Amber light and thermocoupler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeflar

Dec 15, 2013
rutland, vt
Hi, new to pellet stoves..

Bought my parents an eco choice cab 50 to replace their woodstove..

It's been running great.. when it runs.. has been shutting down unexpectantly with a flashing amber light.

The manual says thermocoupler.. the dealer says can't be cuz the stove is almost new (2013 model).

I have contacted the dealer repeatedly as this has been happening and he says clean it... blow out vacuum hose.. etc... everything but the thermocoule and the stove still does it.. some times after a few hours.. sometimes it will run fine for a few days...

Any ideas??? I think I should try the thermocouple to rule it out if nothing else.

Remove the white cover and look to make sure the wire is far enough over the fire pot and the wire is touching the end of the cover. Gaps between the end of your cover and wire will give you problems also.

What did you find when you removed the thermocouple? Were the two ends twisted together as they should be? Are the leads firmly attached to their plug/receptacle/contacts?

The old one looked fine as far as I could tell.. nothing obvious... The dealer gave me a new one to try.. so far so good but has only been since yesterday.. it would work fine with the old one for days at a time sometimes so hard to tell yet... The only strange thing I did notice about the old one is one of the plugs was extremely hard to unplug.. the new one plugged in what I would call normal.. don't know if that was something to do with it..

What are your thoughts tjnamtiw???

Could have been a corroded connection in the plug.!? I see many posts on here where simply recrimping/tightening the spade connectors on snap disks solve problems. Also, unplugging the control box and reseating it many times solves problems (ALWAYS UNPLUG STOVE BEFORE REMOVING THE CONTROL BOX). Also like rickh said, make sure it is pushed all the way into the ceramic cover and touching the end. This is VERY IMPORTANT.

Yeah, I'm hoping the plug was it and the new part took care of it.. been below zero here so it's nice that's it's working so far...

I actually was so anxious to try the new thermocouple that I forgot to notice if the old one was positioned correctly but I did very carefully install the new one absolutely by the book so if that was the issue.. it should also be taken care of.. I guess looking at the control box will be next if the problem rears it's head again..

...and thanks much for the input.. I'll post any changes or new information ....

Status
Not open for further replies.