American Harvest pellet stove lack of heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twodog35

Nov 11, 2013
st paul MN
I have an older American Harvest Pellet stove in my garage(572 sq feet) and the stove is a 50,000 btu stove.
you have to manually light it, and the control on the side has settings from 0-high...
I feel like it is not heating my garage very well, have cleaned it very well, both fans and everything.
on the front of the stove there is suppose to be a rod that you pull in and out to clean the
heat exchanger tubes, even says in owners manual. but it is not there. it looks like someone welded the
hole shut. I have the exhaust and fresh air piped according to the instructions. my garage is well insulated, it never gets very warm in there even with stove running on high for hours.
any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What is the temperature of the air exiting the stove? Have you cleaned all around the heat exchanger tubes? Since that rod and scraper are missing, is that area free of accumulated ash?

How about the hidden wall behind the firebrick? That plugs with ash and lets the heat out as fast as you can feed it pellets. The 6039 was a copy of the Countryside that I know to well. Had to rescue several stoves with that issue.

Reactions: FirepotPete
I have an older American Harvest Pellet stove in my garage(572 sq feet) and the stove is a 50,000 btu stove.
you have to manually light it, and the control on the side has settings from 0-high...
I feel like it is not heating my garage very well, have cleaned it very well, both fans and everything.
on the front of the stove there is suppose to be a rod that you pull in and out to clean the
heat exchanger tubes, even says in owners manual. but it is not there. it looks like someone welded the
hole shut. I have the exhaust and fresh air piped according to the instructions. my garage is well insulated, it never gets very warm in there even with stove running on high for hours.
any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You have the manual. What is the model of the stove? The 6039 and 6041 do not have anything that would clean the heat exchanger area, you have to manually get in there and clean.

What is the temperature of the air exiting the stove? Have you cleaned all around the heat exchanger tubes? Since that rod and scraper are missing, is that area free of accumulated ash?
The heat coming out of stove is about 200 and there is no ash around heat exchanger tubes.

How about the hidden wall behind the firebrick? That plugs with ash and lets the heat out as fast as you can feed it pellets. The 6039 was a copy of the Countryside that I know to well. Had to rescue several stoves with that issue.
The firebrick is pretty wore out looks like..some of the pellets fall behind the ash pot...

There are two cleanout plates, one on each side of the pot that lift out(pg 14 of manual I downloaded) and one has to get in there and suck out the ash. Removing the brick wall and banging on the wall behind it will help dislodge the ash. The leaf blower trick works well on this stove while using a dead blow hammer or 2x4 piece to knock on the stove wall. If the holes behind the fire brick are open you may need to buy a couple plugs to stop the exhaust from leaving the stove without passing through rear exchanger.

There are two cleanout plates, one on each side of the pot that lift out(pg 14 of manual I downloaded) and one has to get in there and suck out the ash. Removing the brick wall and banging on the wall behind it will help dislodge the ash. The leaf blower trick works well on this stove while using a dead blow hammer or 2x4 piece to knock on the stove wall. If the holes behind the fire brick are open you may need to buy a couple plugs to stop the exhaust from leaving the stove without passing through rear exchanger.
So after stove is cooled down I can remove the firebrick and there is probably ash behind it? Is there a way to seal the inside corners to keep all heat in?

Still the same firebox etc. Still has cleanout slides outside of the stove and the plates inside of the stove. The manual for the 6039 is better written.
Download the manual for the 6039 and study a bit.

Reactions: Bioburner
Status
Not open for further replies.