American Harvest (USSC) 6039 Shutting Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SoftballDad

Jan 15, 2018
Southeast Iowa
OK gang I need help. My 6039 has been running good until a few days ago. It will shut down for a split second then fire back up. Sometimes though it will quit and wont restart. When it quits completely the red light by "B" flashes. I was told this was a high limit switch issue. I bypassed the switch as a test overnight and this morning it is shut down again.
This is an older 3 button unit.
Any suggestions??

Thanks!!
Mike

That was a dagerous test. If you have to do jump tests you should be near the stove when it’s being done. Jumping the high limit is definitely one that you sit next to the stove. If it was jumped and the stove overheated, could have burned your house down or worse. Ok my rant is over. Did the stove lose all power? Do you have a high limit with a reset in between the 2 terminals? Are you sure you jumped the high limit?

I understand your rant. Yes when it quits everything stops. I thought maybe my surge protector was bad so I replaced it with a new one. But still no change. My limit switch does not have a reset. It is a ceramic snap switch. Part # 80455. It is listed as an Auger Safety Switch 270 degree switch.

I took it all apart this morning and reset the board to the factory settings. That sets it for corn and I am burning pellets. Not sure what the best setting is for pellets. But while I had it apart I used light compressed air to blow off the board and in between the board and the face plate. It surged once while it was warming up but then I ran the settings to 9 and 9 (mine is an old A, B, C board, 13 B series) and it has ran since. When it does this the control board goes blank as well. Then the red light flashes over the "B" button.

I ran it on 9 and 9 for 4 days straight a few weeks ago with no issues. However 4 days ago I started running it on 5 and 7 and that is when the issues began. I spoke with US Stove today and they said it could still be a bad switch but if that does not fix it then they believe the board is bad.
I was hoping some of you guys would have some other things or ideas for me to check. Hate spending the money on a new board.

Well if you jumped the high limit, it definatly didn’t get shut down by the switch. the board is the only thing left in that circuit, i would have to concur with ussc you may need a new board. It would be a good upgrade.

Short update.......It got really cold again at home so I set the stove on 9 and 9. I hooked the high limit switch back up before doing this. It ran on 9 and 9 for 3 days without issue. Well other than she ate pellets like it was her job....:)
So would this lead you even more to a board issue with the issues I am having when I set it to lower settings?
Thanks all!!

Short update.......It got really cold again at home so I set the stove on 9 and 9. I hooked the high limit switch back up before doing this. It ran on 9 and 9 for 3 days without issue. Well other than she ate pellets like it was her job....:)
So would this lead you even more to a board issue with the issues I am having when I set it to lower settings?
Thanks all!!
Be careful running that stove on 9 for long periods of time, they are known to warp the door and stove front where the door seals.