American Holly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
i got a few wheelbarrows full split up today from the rounds I got off a job over the summer. Had it mixed in with some red oak and mulberry rounds I also split so I stacked it all together. Question is, how long to season? Never burned any, and wondering about rot resistance as it’s on the top of the stack. It will be top covered soon like all the rest of my stacks

i got a few wheelbarrows full split up today from the rounds I got off a job over the summer. Had it mixed in with some red oak and mulberry rounds I also split so I stacked it all together. Question is, how long to season? Never burned any, and wondering about rot resistance as it’s on the top of the stack. It will be top covered soon like all the rest of my stacks
Never had any holly, but I do have native dogwood that is real dense. I'd shoot for 2 years depending on your situation (sunny, breezy, dry, single/double stacked, etc.).

How big around are the peices?

It’s pretty twisty grain, so pieces for the most part are around 3x5 and some smaller. I’ll give it 2 years for sure, I was just wondering how it would weather (meaning will it rot?) I read it’s good burning wood and happened to scrounge some from the job I was on last summer. If we don’t get any cold snaps here shortly I’m sitting on 4-5 cord 2+ year seasoned white oak and almost 2 year seasoned black locust, so that stack can sit and mellow ;) Well the locust will be 2 year seasoned next burning season anyway, oak ready-ish now

I've got no clue on holly. Most wood needs at least 12 months. I've used black cherry after six months stacked where there's sun and breeze.

It’s pretty twisty grain, so pieces for the most part are around 3x5 and some smaller. I’ll give it 2 years for sure, I was just wondering how it would weather (meaning will it rot?) I read it’s good burning wood and happened to scrounge some from the job I was on last summer. If we don’t get any cold snaps here shortly I’m sitting on 4-5 cord 2+ year seasoned white oak and almost 2 year seasoned black locust, so that stack can sit and mellow ;) Well the locust will be 2 year seasoned next burning season anyway, oak ready-ish now
It may be that the rotting question will be determined by the location of the stacking. I'd keep it one or two layers under something else that I know is more rot resistant, just to make sure. I suspect holly isn't something that you are going to have an abundance of, so no point of taking a chance that, despite it's density, might not have the staying power of locust or hedge.

Reactions: D8Chumley
It’s in an open, sunny spot double stacked. I still have to process the white oak trunk in front of the house, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to try making slabs so I was dragging my feet on it. I’m gonna c/s/s it, and I’ll run a layer or 2 over the holly but I wanted to keep it accessible so I could try a piece or two next season if the MC was close

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
It’s in an open, sunny spot double stacked. I still have to process the white oak trunk in front of the house, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to try making slabs so I was dragging my feet on it. I’m gonna c/s/s it, and I’ll run a layer or 2 over the holly but I wanted to keep it accessible so I could try a piece or two next season if the MC was close
That sounds like a great plan! Look forward to hearing how it turns out in a couple years.

I love burning holly, especially mixed with oak. I find it best after two years seasoning and I have never had any rot.

Have burned Holly a few times when I was able to get some from the local compost site and I like it, burns nice and clean, nice white grain inside, like you said it isn't very much available and I often wonder if what I got over the last few years is from the same person and tree lol!