Amount of fire brick lining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicDog

Aug 21, 2014
East TN
My stove is side loading with no glass, and will accept a 30" split. I'm not clear on the effects of the fire brick lining. I can line just the bottom, the bottom and one vertical brick high up the sides, or the bottom and all the way up the sides. The other variable is whether to use full bricks or splits on the sides. I don't want to burn out the sides of the stove, so I believe I would want to line the sides partway up with splits at a minimum. I presently have it fully lined with full size brick. What are the tradeoffs? Thanks.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/why-do-stoves-have-fire-bricks.99120/

The "tradeoff" will be that it takes longer for the heat to travel to the sides where you will feel it as radiant heat. What stove brand/model do you have? If the manufacturer intended it to be fully lined I would definitively not remove the firebricks. The steel walls may not be able to handle the direct heat for a prolonged time and start warping at some point. The stove will also loose its UL listing and warranty.

The brand is Englander. The model is unknown. I don't know if this forum is all wood stoves or if I need to move this thread to the non-EPA side. The problem is that when I received the stove the Sweep I bought if from had removed all of the bricks. He stated "somebody put bricks in the stove so I removed them." Idgit. So now I have no way of knowing what the manufacturer intended, and neither do they based on my call to them. I thought maybe the brick would act as a thermal mass (much like soapstone) and slowly release residual heat. The stove walls are about .1250 to .1875 thick.

I thought maybe the brick would act as a thermal mass (much like soapstone) and slowly release residual heat.

That too.

Do you have a picture of the stove? I am almost sure someone here can identify it.

Here's a rough drawing of it from memory.
stove.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.