Anchorage AK Lowes Pellet alert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXV-AK

Dec 1, 2010
ANC Alaska
Hello to all
I just stopped in at Lowes on Old Seward to pick up some Eureka wood pellets. To my disbelief the price had increased by 100% from $5.10 to $11.98. I went to talked to the store manager about the incorrect pricing and he said" the corporate office sent out a memo the other day on the price increase and explain it was because of the pellet company price increases." I find this hard to believe.
So I went to Home Depot and bought a different brand for 4.82 with military discount. I might have to take a trip to Fairbanks in the near future.

XXV-AK said:
Hello to all
I just stopped in at Lowes on Old Seward to pick up some Eureka wood pellets. To my disbelief the price had increased by 100% from $5.10 to $11.98. I went to talked to the store manager about the incorrect pricing and he said" the corporate office sent out a memo the other day on the price increase and explain it was because of the pellet company price increases." I find this hard to believe.
So I went to Home Depot and bought a different brand for 4.82 with military discount. I might have to take a trip to Fairbanks in the near future.

I'd go back to Lowes and tell the manager that HD are cheaper. They usually price match. Worth a shot if you like the Lowes brand better?

Your the first I know of that heats with pellets around this area. I'm curious, do you not have nat gas lines where you live in Anchorage?

I had shortly considered pellets before I bought my wood stove but pellets would need to be under $125/ton to be cheaper than heating with gas.

You'll probably be able to get those Lowes pellets on clearance in a month or two. I can't imagine anyone would pay almost 12 bucks a bag unless they had zero alternatives.

Pyro

Yes I have Natural Gas and the pellet stove is a backup heat source in case the inlet supply is interrupted. The pig iron as we call it in our family it's nice to sit in the front room with the radiant heat at what ever temperature we set. Dead of winter the house will maintain at 68 with it set at 70 and the force air moves the heat around and the furnace doesn't even come on. Thats the protect for frozen pipes in the dead of winter!! The pellets I picked up today are the CleanBurn from Tacoma WA and they have no fines and I will burn them tonight and give an update. AK

Makes sense.

I got my stove for same reason, don't have to worry about having electricity or gas to stay warm. Well and plus it's cheaper to heat with wood than use natural gas.

j-takeman said:
I'd go back to Lowes and tell the manager that HD are cheaper. They usually price match. Worth a shot if you like the Lowes brand better?

I agree....both stores claim to price match, so give it a shot if you like the pellets Lowes has better.

what brands do you usually get up there?

XXV-AK said:
Pyro

Yes I have Natural Gas and the pellet stove is a backup heat source in case the inlet supply is interrupted. The pig iron as we call it in our family it's nice to sit in the front room with the radiant heat at what ever temperature we set. Dead of winter the house will maintain at 68 with it set at 70 and the force air moves the heat around and the furnace doesn't even come on. Thats the protect for frozen pipes in the dead of winter!! The pellets I picked up today are the CleanBurn from Tacoma WA and they have no fines and I will burn them tonight and give an update. AK
Clean Burn are an awesome pellet. One of the best! Doug fir pellet! At the price you have quoted and where you live, I would be going back for tons!

Hello to all
Well the CleanBurn pellets turned out to be a rock star pellet. Very little to no fines and the ash content is very low. Even if Lowes on Old Seward reduced the price back to a reasonable price Im not going back. Thanks for all the input. AK

Update-Hello to all
Home Depot has restocked with CleanBurn and I can get a ton for $224.0 with military discount in Anchorage. Lowes is still holding fast with Eureka wood pellets over $11.00 and guess what they have hardly sold any imagine that !! We are going to break the record for the biggest snow since 1955/56. AK

Manke cleanburns, Western Oregon Wood Blazers, are both shipped to AK from Tacoma on the barges for HD and Lowes
I think that store is managed by one of the large foriegn oil companies... sorry to hear 11 bucks a bag

Status
Not open for further replies.