Finally Bought My Pellet's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaineiacMoose

Oct 23, 2014
Maine
So I have been running all over the place looking for a reason not to buy so much oil this year and up until today I had no reason to buy pellets. Let me preface this with my intention to not buy from the BBS and use someone local to me (Central Maine). I found last spring that the Crabree pellets worked well for me with little ash and decent heat and wanted to purchase more this fall. So I go by my local stove shop and walah $270 a ton.... I about puked. So I figured they were just being greedy since a couple of months ago they were $229 a ton so I went on my way looking elsewhere.

So I go over to my local farm store who mind you has a field and parking lot full of pellets ranging from good pellets to bad pellets. I look at their price list and everything but the Crabee pellets and the low low end pellets are over $300 a ton.

So I keep on trucking to my next stop 30 miles away where I work were all the BBS are. I shop around at some stove shops and other stores that carry pellets and all the same story big money for pellets. At this point I am wondering why I bought a pellet stove and not a wood stove to heat with at least with a wood stove I could just burn the Benjamin's and be as well off.

So I break down and go to Lowes and check out what they had to offer and it was the usual mix of green team for $300 a ton or the lesser pellets for $259. I ended up wanting one ton of the Clean Energy and it rang up as $269 and I pointed it out to the cashier and she said oh it must have gone up..... Sigh. So the argument ensued politely of course and they ended up lowering the price back to the $259 a ton when they did I spoke up for two more tons to get me through the winter. They did go good on the Military discount I was surprised at being they are not keen on discounting the pellets.

if medway is in your area, nicatou stove shop has the crabbe for $239. we drove by there a week ago today.

I am from Central Maine and have yet to purchase pellets or fire up the stove, not much incentive based on HHO prices and current pellet prices, from 2008 until last Spring I burned 24/7 through the heating season, this year my plan is to pick up a ton or so and just burn nights/weekends. There are many fuel calculators out there that will help you towards your break even analysis, for me this year it is not going to be worth the extra work to heat exclusively with pellets.

Those Clean Energy pellets are rebagged Hamer Hot Ones.

Mt Dew that is why I bought them they seemed like the only decent pellet there.

Utiltrac I figured it out and currently it is costing me $3 ish per million BTU difference. Keeping the house really warm with the pellets is nice though.

St_earl medway is an hour plus north of me but I did stop in and grab a couple bags there while visiting the bird population. The owners are very nice and easy to get along with.

Maineiac Moose- where did you get these rebagged Hamer's?

Status
Not open for further replies.