And for the latest round of wood I'd ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Virginia
IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0235.JPG We're picking up wood in our area from old tree work. Most has been bucked and stacked for years, I understand. There's mostly oak, some pine, and then something that I'm not so sure about. I can manage leaves and twigs for Identification but am not so good with bark and grain. My best guess is locust, but it's not really yellow inside, and I read that locust is. It smells to me like oak, but it looks quite different to me.

Now to see if I can figure out the pictures.

I'm currently planning to stack it with the oak, but I'd love to know what it is for sure.

Thanks.

View attachment 196473 View attachment 196474 View attachment 196475 We're picking up wood in our area from old tree work. Most has been bucked and stacked for years, I understand. There's mostly oak, some pine, and then something that I'm not so sure about. I can manage leaves and twigs for Identification but am not so good with bark and grain. My best guess is locust, but it's not really yellow inside, and I read that locust is. It smells to me like oak, but it looks quite different to me.

Now to see if I can figure out the pictures.

I'm currently planning to stack it with the oak, but I'd love to know what it is for sure.

Thanks.
You've got yourself some sassafras! I like it in my stove, particularly during shoulder season. Sort of like pine regarding seasoning time, length of burn, and hot.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
You've got yourself some sassafras! I like it in my stove, particularly during shoulder season. Sort of like pine regarding seasoning time, length of burn, and hot.

You got me investigating sassafras. I didn't know it could get so big (my experience is small stuff between the cow pasture and garden growing up) and found some amazing pictures. Ours doesn't smell like root beer, though, so I kept on stacking it with the oak. My very last splitting today was to divide that large round into six pieces. Granted I was tired, but I could carry one in each hand but had to shift the one from my left (weaker and injured shoulder) to my right in order to lift it up over my head for stacking.

I searched a few threads here, and it seems like people identify wood pictures with such thick bark variously as sassafras, black locust, cottonwood, and chestnut oak. The smell and weight (even heavier than the red oak I was also processing) favor chestnut oak.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
You got me investigating sassafras. I didn't know it could get so big (my experience is small stuff between the cow pasture and garden growing up) and found some amazing pictures. Ours doesn't smell like root beer, though, so I kept on stacking it with the oak. My very last splitting today was to divide that large round into six pieces. Granted I was tired, but I could carry one in each hand but had to shift the one from my left (weaker and injured shoulder) to my right in order to lift it up over my head for stacking.

I searched a few threads here, and it seems like people identify wood pictures with such thick bark variously as sassafras, black locust, cottonwood, and chestnut oak. The smell and weight (even heavier than the red oak I was also processing) favor chestnut oak.
Yep, should smell like root beer, and wouldn't be real heavy. I took another look, and with your additional information, I'm changing my answer! We have several of the chestnut oaks, and they are one of my favorite trees, nice Fall foliage, crops of big acorns every few years. If I've ever had any for firewood, I don't recall.

Not too knowledgeable on Chesnut oak, but that is 100% an oak of some kind. Rays are clearly visible in end grain, so I'm going with Chesnut.

That is Chestnut Oak. The wood is basically the same as White Oak. I am not sure they separate Chestnut Oak and White Oak when making lumber; they treat it all as White Oak.

Thanks, all. Chestnut oak, it is.

We've had white oak in the past but tend to get much more red. That was what was so funny about this wood. It was heavy and smelled like oak but definitely wasn't red oak, but it's a lot redder inside than our regular white oak with very different bark. Nice to have learned something new. I think we'll look for more of it when we go back to our scrounging spot (helping to clean up a property for a friend).

Sadly the new rack I finished loading with the chestnut oak toppled forward some time overnight on Saturday. I have no pictures. Who thinks that means that when I next check it will not have happened?

Reactions: D8Chumley
That is Chestnut Oak. The wood is basically the same as White Oak. I am not sure they separate Chestnut Oak and White Oak when making lumber; they treat it all as White Oak.

Not separated at the Mills, as you said all White Oak. That is for sure an Oak.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Sadly the new rack I finished loading with the chestnut oak toppled forward some time overnight on Saturday. I have no pictures. Who thinks that means that when I next check it will not have happened?
We've all been there brother. Sucks

Thanks, all. Chestnut oak, it is.

We've had white oak in the past but tend to get much more red. That was what was so funny about this wood. It was heavy and smelled like oak but definitely wasn't red oak, but it's a lot redder inside than our regular white oak with very different bark. Nice to have learned something new. I think we'll look for more of it when we go back to our scrounging spot (helping to clean up a property for a friend).

One of the only things I like less than stacking wood is stacking the same wood for the second time!