angled thimble for a hipped roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tr123

Jan 16, 2011
PA
I've never had a wood stove but would like to put one in an upstairs room that was added to our house above the garage; the room has a high slanted ceiling that follows the angle of the hipped roof. Are there thimbles designed to match the slant of a roof? The thimble would have to be cut on an angle -- like a piece of penne pasta. Thanks

Thanks for the link, Matt, and for the welcome. I see the Cathedral Ceiling Support that hangs down below the ceiling, with the trim collar piece that fits flush against the ceiling. But what I had in mind was something like installation #10 at this link:

http://www.marinestove.com/installation_views.htm

Or is that an insulated pipe instead of a thimble? It looks as though the diameter of the pipe is extra wide.

Home stove code requirements, pipe sizing and options are very different from marine stove installs. A cathedral ceiling support box is one option, but you may also be able to use a roof support system. There is a bit of terminology confusion here. Basically what you need to know is that the interior pipe between the stove and the ceiling is called the connector. If your connector will be over 8' tall, go for double-wall connector pipe. As it penetrates the roof it becomes class A, insulated, high temperature chimney pipe. The outdoor stack must be tall enough to be at least 2 ft above the nearest roof structure within 10 ft of the pipe. On some hipped roof structures this can mean a tall pipe with braces. If it's possible to bring the stove or at least the roof exit of the pipe more into the center of the house, that can reduce the amount of exterior piping.

If you can post some pictures of the roof and the interior it would help us see the problems you are trying to address.

Either use a cathedral ceiling support box, or if the square bothers you, use an adjustable roof support and a pitched trim ring for where it enters into the house. For the roof support you will either have a silver pipe hanging out of the ceiling, or you can paint that part black. Some mfg offer pre-painted sections for the last piece that hangs into the house.

Thanks BeGreen and jtp10181 for the replies.

Don't worry, I won't confuse boats and buildings :) I referred to the marine stove picture only to show the look we were hoping to get where the connector meets the stack at the pitched ceiling; there's an ornamental collar that sits flush to the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.