Angled vent on Quadrafire Adventure? (Or any wood stove, for that matter)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Comarley

Nov 7, 2016
South central PA
This is our first winter in our house, and first experience with wood stoves. The house came with a Fisher Grandma Bear, but we're looking for something more efficient. We're considering Quadrafire's Adventure 3, but can't meet the spec's stated venting requirements. It calls for a 24" vertical before going horizontal.

The vent from the Fisher has no vertical rise (except for a couple inches at the takeoff); instead, it angles off at about 45 degrees. With the Adventure's additional height, the angle would be about 30 degrees from horizontal and the pipe length would be about 26 inches before disappearing into the stone (I don't know what angling it does after that before going vertical). The stove is in the basement of a two-story house.

I'm wondering if the angled vent would be a problem. (Perhaps when they write their specs they only consider "horizontal" and "vertical", and as long as the gases can rise it isn't a problem?) Is the issue safety or efficiency? Not willing to compromise safety, but if it's efficiency, how much would it affect it?

We don't care about appearance, just safety and efficiency.

I've called "tech support" who told me that it really needs to be vertical, but I felt like they're just reading the manual. The dealer also couldn't provide useful input.

So I've come here for the experts.

The angle may be ok. More important will be the chimney height and liner size. Modern stoves need decent draft and dry wood to perform well.

I'd have to install a 6" liner. My guesstimation on the chimney height is 20 to 28 feet. Not sure if that range is too wide to be useful; if not, I can go measure it

That should draft well. By the description so far you should be ok.

I agree with bg with that height and a properly sized liner you should be able to over come any drop in draft caused by angling like that. And make sure you insulate the liner as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.