Annoying Stihl Gas and Oil Caps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've no problem using the flippy caps with gloves--in fact, isn't that one of the reasons for them? I do the same thing with my caps that I do with a screw: I rotate it backwards until it sits in, and then screw it in. 60% of the time, it works every time.

S

If you look really close, they have little arrows on the caps that line up with arrows on the saw when the flippy caps are seated properly. Only because of this thread did I look close enough to see the little arrows.

Personally, I don't like the flippy caps, but to each his own. Way over engineered, & under built imho. If you need a good laugh, & don't have anything better to do, go to arboristsite.com & type flippy caps in the search box. Hours of reading. A C

Buying a new saw with 20" bar soon.
I'm bouncing back & forth between a Husq & Sthil.

I'll have to put this feature& user comments in my decision tree.

Narrowed down to
Sthil MS 311, 391, 290
Husq Rancher 460 , 357XP, 359

Highbeam said:
Ah, maybe that is the secret. I don't use gloves at all and seem to really like the flippy caps. I could see how the gloves would make them harder to use. Is that the common thread among the haters? Do you all use gloves?

I saw with gloves but I don't know if I leave the on or not during refueling. . .

meh. . .

I never understood the debate...until this past weekend when I pulled the MS250 of the shelf in the shed...and saw a nice puddle of bar oil. Best I can tell, a chip or two was on the gasket. So now, I'll be a bite more careful before I put the flippy oil cap back on.

Highbeam said:
Ah, maybe that is the secret. I don't use gloves at all and seem to really like the flippy caps. I could see how the gloves would make them harder to use. Is that the common thread among the haters? Do you all use gloves?

+1 for flippy caps... best thing since sliced bread and toilet paper.
No gloves here... everything sucks with gloves on.

Skier76 said:
I never understood the debate...until this past weekend when I pulled the MS250 of the shelf in the shed...and saw a nice puddle of bar oil. Best I can tell, a chip or two was on the gasket. So now, I'll be a bite more careful before I put the flippy oil cap back on.

If I were a betting man I'd bet that oil did not come out of the cap

Bigg_Redd said:
Skier76 said:

I thought that as well. But where else would it seep from?

Skier76 said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Skier76 said:

The oiling channels

Skier76 said:
the bar's oiler.

Bigg_Redd said:
The oiling channels
Darnit, here I had a long paragraph answer typed out and decided a short answer would do. by the time I hit post you already had answered!!!!

Our MS 360 has the flippy caps. Dont care for them,but if I pay attention, the problem does not occur frequently. I have trouble with bar oil running thru the oiling channels. Our dealer cant fix it. Anyone have a cure for this problem. It sure makes a mess of the inside of the carrying case.
Tom

jensent said:
Our MS 360 has the flippy caps. Dont care for them,but if I pay attention, the problem does not occur frequently. I have trouble with bar oil running thru the oiling channels. Our dealer cant fix it. Anyone have a cure for this problem. It sure makes a mess of the inside of the carrying case.
Tom

Do you clean/blow out (compress air) the clutch cover? (where the bar&chain; connect to the saw)

Most of my older "NEW to the world" auto-oilers leak; I just got in the habit of laying them bar-side-down on some old rags.
Granted, they are a 1:1 (fuel to bar oil) so they don't really have that much oil to leak. The only one that I have in a hard
case is the Husky 445 - and it doesn't leak (yet!)

PJF1313
Thanks for the tip. The 360 really does need a clean-up. We bucked 36in red oak all day yesterday. Saw stalled twice and after it sat and cooled it restarted. Im thinking ignition but it may just need service in all areas. Im on my second Husky 350 as the first was stolen. Neither of the Huskys or our Stihl 021 leaked bar oil. I think the 350's are basicly the same saw as your 345.
Tom

I don't know if it helps or not but I like to open the caps of a hot saw right after final shutdown in hopes of relieving any pressure in the tanks. Then, in theory, when the saw cools a slight vacuum will set up in the tanks and keep them from leaking. What's wrong with a little extra bar oil in the case? That's what the case is for, to catch this junk. Keep the outside of the case clean for throwing in the truck when the bed is full of wood.

amateur cutter said:
Personally, I don't like the flippy caps, but to each his own. Way over engineered, & under built imho. If you need a good laugh, & don't have anything better to do, go to arboristsite.com & type flippy caps in the search box. Hours of reading. A C

I agree wtih the under built, fine design, actaully if your are wearing proper fitting gloves, not buying the magnums to impress the ladies, they are easier to use. however they break, seemingly when the job is half done. I dont like the Bar oil, its to hard to wipe down before opening.

Buy a spare, I think my dealer sells them for 7 bucks or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.