Another cracked PE insert replaced

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
someone who sells pe basically says its my/our fault without even seeing my stove?
swears the company is doing the right thing? now i have to have a bump on my stove?
for less than .01% why wouldnt you replace the stove?

If I was the people having trouble issues right now and was called out like you guys were I'd be nothing short of insulted. You don't spend the money to R&D a new stove design if the original isn't flawed, period. I think *most* of the people here take much better care of their stoves than the majority of the wood burning population. It's also been shown that most of the dealers can't tell a user where to take a temp and what an over fire temp is so how can they claim abuse.

True that, ask 5 dealers and you will likely get 5 different answers. I do appreciate that some stove companies like Jotul give clear directions where to locate the thermostat and what temp to run the stove.

True that, ask 5 dealers and you will likely get 5 different answers. I do appreciate that some stove companies like Jotul give clear directions where to locate the thermostat and what temp to run the stove.
I can say that is a fact in this specific case based on my phone calls.

Ha, didn't know you had your stove crack again!

That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about welding mine!

I requested specific instructions on how to repair it, for example drill out the crack to stop the spread. No answer yet.

mine was drilled out the first time. This time I am told not to grind it even to the stove.... to leave a bump. I dont recall buying the stove with bumps on either side of the door????
pe shoul change everything written about the stove.. If I cant burn it hot enough to heat 2500 sq ft
then why say it heats large areas? rate it for >1800. I called pe often and was told to "pack it to the gills" "load it to the baffle, thats why it floats" Now I have someone telling me its overfired, A company that says the inside looks good, and someone else who says my wood is to dry! Lmao! 3 different things from 3 different "Professionals" Oh, lets not forget the 4th, a professional welder with a long resume who says its a flaw and will come back year after year!

I can't help but wonder how many other stoves among the various manufacturers have cracks that are unseen and unreported unless they are in obvious locations. I doubt if most users inspect their stoves very carefully, especially inside, and most cracks don't cause obvious problems.

However, when I was looking at stoves for us, I inspected all the floor models I saw very carefully. One of the stoves I looked at was an older PE Super 27 of unknown vintage that was used for a long time as a floor demo. I remember not being impressed with the somewhat sloppy weld quality, and it had a thick bracket that wasn't even bent properly (not related to age). However, I also saw a newer Alderlea T5 (basically the same box as Super 27) and it looked fine, so I bought a Super 27 anyway. The stove I got has very nice looking welds and all the other construction points look very good as well. The point is that, PE may have gone through a period of less than stellar QC even though the basic stove design was good on paper, and that may account for some belated warranty issues. And if a particular stove did have QC issues, it may have developed cracks even in the absence of overfiring. Point being that it may be a bit unfair to arbitrarily accuse every warranty claimant of abuse unless it can be proven that the manufacturing was not part of the problem.

Of course, making a habit of overfiring surely is asking for it (whatever that term means:rolleyes:. Like some others, I'd like to have it a little more well defined, especially if a future warranty claim may be at issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.