Another Drolet question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokepole

Burning Hunk
Sep 28, 2019
Foothills N.C.
I am looking at buying an escape 1800. I have read the manual and watched several videos on this model. What is not clear to me is the primary air supply. Is all the primary air supplied through the air wash? Or, is there also an air supply in front of and at the bottom of the firebox similar to my 13-NC. I do like the design of my stove, it just has too many other problems.

Thanks for any help.

Smokepole, As you know I have the Escape 1500. I am sure the primary air flow is similar to the 1800. Most of the primary air comes from the air wash system. Air enters below the stove, travels east and west to the sides of the stove, then up . It then gets directed across the top of the glass and down over the glass. There are also three holes into the bottom front of the firebox that provide primary air to the base of the fire. The inlet to these three holes is a small hole near the primary air inlet. This hole is usually covered, but gets uncovered as the primary air control is moved past 3/4 shut. These three holes are not mentioned at all in the user manual. Which to me is stupid. The manual states to pull ashes forward when reloading the stove. Where do the ashes end up? In the three holes. I never knew they were there until someone on this forum asked about them. I would not have found them without his help as they were filled with ash. Now I rake ash forward, but keep the 'hump' that contains the three holes clear. I stick a small rod in the holes to make sure they are clear. I have seen flames shooting out of these holes, sometimes 3 -4 inches long. The air ignites unburned gas. Hope this helps.

Prim air full open.jpg Prim air full closed.jpg 3 holes clean.jpg 3 holes filled.jpg 3 holes location.jpg

Reactions: marty319
Smokepole, As you know I have the Escape 1500. I am sure the primary air flow is similar to the 1800. Most of the primary air comes from the air wash system. Air enters below the stove, travels east and west to the sides of the stove, then up . It then gets directed across the top of the glass and down over the glass. There are also three holes into the bottom front of the firebox that provide primary air to the base of the fire. The inlet to these three holes is a small hole near the primary air inlet. This hole is usually covered, but gets uncovered as the primary air control is moved past 3/4 shut. These three holes are not mentioned at all in the user manual. Which to me is stupid. The manual states to pull ashes forward when reloading the stove. Where do the ashes end up? In the three holes. I never knew they were there until someone on this forum asked about them. I would not have found them without his help as they were filled with ash. Now I rake ash forward, but keep the 'hump' that contains the three holes clear. I stick a small rod in the holes to make sure they are clear. I have seen flames shooting out of these holes, sometimes 3 -4 inches long. The air ignites unburned gas. Hope this helps.

View attachment 279366 View attachment 279367 View attachment 279368 View attachment 279369 View attachment 279375
Tom, thanks for your reply. That hump and the holes look to serve the same purpose as the dog house on my
current stove. I'll contact the manufacturer and see if the 1800 is made the same way. Thanks to you I can now
describe it to them. Thanks again.

Tom, thanks for your reply. That hump and the holes look to serve the same purpose as the dog house on my
current stove. I'll contact the manufacturer and see if the 1800 is made the same way. Thanks to you I can now
describe it to them. Thanks again.
I'm sure it is made the same. Read this:

Reactions: Smokepole
My osburn 2300 is exactly the same as pictures above