Drolet Escape 1800 air problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnWW

Jul 8, 2019
Recently I have been having lower stove top temperatures along with lack of rolling flames. With the primary on full it is struggling to get a decent flame going. With the fan off it gets to 450 (top surface temp near the front), then closing the primary, the secondary burn then kicks in but subsides. All this is indicative of poor draft but I am also having problems starting the fire without the door cracked open, which indicates a primary air issue. I have ruled out fuel moisture by replicating the problem with dry oak pallet wood. Taking out the bricks, I noticed three holes in the front, two of which were blocked. Is this the sole inlet for the primary air? I think they got blocked by my tendency to rake coals/ash forward in the am. While it is cold now, I am going to take a look at the flue connection. Any thoughts? This stove was working great, although not really getting above 600.

Those three holes are your boost air. Additional primary air comes in at the top of the glass. I would try vacuuming out those boots holes first

Reactions: JohnWW
The lower holes are the boost air ports. The primary air enters as the airwash, across the glass from the top. There is also the secondary air. Are you loading mostly E/W in the stove? If so, try getting some air under the wood by first putting down some 12-14" long, 1" diameter sleepers for the E/W load to sit on. If you are loading N/S then this does not apply.

E-W sleepers.jpg

Another possible issue is that the chimney cap screen is getting plugged. That should be checked.

The lower holes are the boost air ports. The primary air enters as the airwash, across the glass from the top. There is also the secondary air. Are you loading mostly E/W in the stove? If so, try getting some air under the wood by first putting down some 12-14" long, 1" diameter sleepers for the E/W load to sit on. If you are loading N/S then this does not apply.

View attachment 276370

Another possible issue is that the chimney cap screen is getting plugged. That should be checked.
Thank you Mike and Begreen. That would explain why there are no threads about primary blockage. I have no screen on the chimney cap but I did just hop up there and it looks fine. Edit - I did put down some 2x4 pallet piece sleepers last and pallet slats on top at diagonal angles with minimal wood surface contact and that didn't work either.

Check the baffle to make sure there isn't something blocking near the flue exit.

Check the baffle to make sure there isn't something blocking near the flue exit.
There was no blockage. All tubes and baffle were positioned correctly, but one is not locking into place, ie loose. I remade the flue connection while I was in there. I will reassemble and light up again. What would we expect from a significantly blocked boost air hole?

There was no blockage. All tubes and baffle were positioned correctly, but one is not locking into place, ie loose. I remade the flue connection while I was in there. I will reassemble and light up again. What would we expect from a significantly blocked boost air hole?
That is mostly for startup, to direct air at the bottom of the fire and coal bed. The stove should still run ok with it blocked, but I am basing that on stoves I have run and not yours. Let us know if that makes a significant change.

That is mostly for startup, to direct air at the bottom of the fire and coal bed. The stove should still run ok with it blocked, but I am basing that on stoves I have run and not yours. Let us know if that makes a significant change.
Boost holes unblocked, flue connection remade and all tubes locked nicely into place. Removed some insulation that had fallen down presumably during installation from exterior sides. Drafting and burning fine now. Thanks!

Reactions: MR. GLO
What three holes are you talking about? I have an Escape 1500 and I can't find any holes. I have a cold stove now and removed the front bottom bricks, No holes there. JohnWW can you let me know where yours are? Pic would be great.
I have had problems getting heat out of this stove all year. I actually am in conversation with Drolet, and will be answering questions from them tonight.

What three holes are you talking about? I have an Escape 1500 and I can't find any holes. I have a cold stove now and removed the front bottom bricks, No holes there. JohnWW can you let me know where yours are? Pic would be great.
I have had problems getting heat out of this stove all year. I actually am in conversation with Drolet, and will be answering questions from them tonight.

20210314_221858.jpg
The boost holes are in the front center of the firebox, and face to the rear of the stove, hard to get a good pic when running

Thank you SailrMike.

Never would have found them. I could not feel anything when I searched. Hard to get head inside firebox to look. They are on the stove side of the mound. I have seen the feeder hole under the stove, but thought that was just to prevent pressure buildup inside the mound. I cleaned them out and I'm all set to start a fire in the morning. Hope this helps me. Thanks again.

The feeder hole is only open when the primary air control is fully closed.(As in the picture) When the primary air is open that hole is covered. It is the tiny hole in the picture. The big hole allows air to enter the channel that feeds the air above the glass. I'm thinking that the air wash system need a certain amount of air to keep the glass clean even with the primary air totally shut.

3 holes location.jpg 3 holes feeder hole.jpg 3 holes filled.jpg 3 holes clean.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you SailrMike.

Never would have found them. I could not feel anything when I searched. Hard to get head inside firebox to look. They are on the stove side of the mound. I have seen the feeder hole under the stove, but thought that was just to prevent pressure buildup inside the mound. I cleaned them out and I'm all set to start a fire in the morning. Hope this helps me. Thanks again.

The feeder hole is only open when the primary air control is fully closed.(As in the picture) When the primary air is open that hole is covered. It is the tiny hole in the picture. The big hole allows air to enter the channel that feeds the air above the glass. I'm thinking that the air wash system need a certain amount of air to keep the glass clean even with the primary air totally shut.

View attachment 276418 View attachment 276419 View attachment 276420 View attachment 276421
You're welcome, thanks for posting these great pics for others to see as well. I had no idea what that pin hole/feeder hole was before, makes sense how you describe it. It's interesting to me that the feeder is blocked at every damper setting other than low.

Great news!

Were there gaps or a poor connection there?
Not that was obvious. I wrapped aluminium tape around the adapter joints and put a bead of ht sealant around the connection top. I plan to redo the blockoff plate and put an angle in to bring it forward after burning season so I will do a more thorough inspection then. Pro tip - don't leave your phone on top of the unit, reassemble the panel and light the stove.

Not that was obvious. I wrapped aluminium tape around the adapter joints and put a bead of ht sealant around the connection top. I plan to redo the blockoff plate and put an angle in to bring it forward after burning season so I will do a more thorough inspection then. Pro tip - don't leave your phone on top of the unit, reassemble the panel and light the stove.
Ouch, that doesn't sound good did your phone survive?

I had 3 to 4 inch shooting flames generated from the air coming out of these holes this morning. Shot straight toward the back of the firebox. Did not get a picture but they looked cool.
I do notice a difference in the firebox flames with these holes open. Need more tests to figure out what is actually going on.

Sure would be nice if the Installation and Operation Manual had information about operating the stove. The manuals I have seen are 95% safety and compliance items; 4.9% about the stove; and virtually nothing about how to operate the stove. There is absolutely nothing about these three holes in the manual.

I had 3 to 4 inch shooting flames generated from the air coming out of these holes this morning. Shot straight toward the back of the firebox. Did not get a picture but they looked cool.
I do notice a difference in the firebox flames with these holes open. Need more tests to figure out what is actually going on.

Sure would be nice if the Installation and Operation Manual had information about operating the stove. The manuals I have seen are 95% safety and compliance items; 4.9% about the stove; and virtually nothing about how to operate the stove. There is absolutely nothing about these three holes in the manual.
Agreed, send the suggestion on to SBI and Osburn. Their documentation is better than some, but there can still be some improvement.