Another Earth Stove Threaded Hole By Flue Collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blazzinghot

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2019
New Plymouth, Idaho
Sometime back I mentioned I was able to get an earth stove at the metal recycle yard. I did not mention that it has about 6 feet of 1 inch plumbers pipe sticking up our of the flue collar. I thought it was a little weird just figuring that was someone redesigning the stove. I picked up another Earth Stove today with the same threaded hole in the back. This has been discussed some years back on this forum but it seemed no one really knows for sure what the threaded hole is.

I am very happy as this is the first stove I have gotten used that had good bricks and a bio-metric coil that works with knob. I might just wire brush and sand and paint and resell this stove. Then again I would like to do some secondary burner with an insulated board like the Englander.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 270
It has been a good thirty + years ago, so I cannot give any details, but a co-worker had a hot water heater running off his Earthstove. He purchased it a couple of years after I bought mine. It must have been '77 or '78 when I bought mine. I do know his came with fittings. He did not add them.

MTY I was thinking of this possibility and was trying to figure out how the pipes might have been laid out inside the stove. It would seem with a hot water system that a person would need two holes on the stove. One for the cold water to enter and another for the hot water to exit. But then again I don't really know that much about hot water systems for wood stoves. The other Earth Stove I have had the pipe going up the flue about six to eight feet. I took the pipe off at the scrap yard so I could get the stove in my pickup. Someone else suggested it may have been a secondary burn inside the stack. But one inch pipe for a secondary burn seems like to much air. Time to do some more research on this.

Sounds like a “ Blazing Shower”?

Coaly I was wondering when you were going to show up. This Earth Stove looks very similar to the one you sent me pictures of. I can see now how the bio-metric coil hooks up on the air intake. So now I can fix the air intake on my other Earth Stove which I am using for my garage. I don't think this recent Earth Stove has a second threaded hole for hot water hook up. I tried every search on the internet trying to find some info on this threaded hole by the flue collar but nothing . Oh well it has a plug on it so I think I will put in secondary burners and copy the design of the Englander. No Blazing hot shower from this Earth Stove for this old man but I am hoping for a blazing hot warmth instead.

Coaly what I have noticed with the last two Earth Stoves I own that they crack in the top left hand corner on the stove where the door opening is. I wonder if this is a weak spot for these stoves? Have you noticed this with yours?

I heat with a Kitchen Queen and collect Fishers and a couple antiques. The others I have or have sold come from homes I buy that I remodel and fix up to rent. I only allow tenants coal stoves. I’ll buy stoves that need reconditioning as a hobby and keep what I want or set them up for those in need.

You would not find a second water line connection on the stove. The coil exits up the stove pipe and out the side of pipe. This is what creates the rise of water circulating it in storage tank mounted above.

Last edited:
Thanks Coaly, It took awhile for the light bulb to turn on. I finally get it. I went back and looked at the pictures again are read the article you sent on the how the pipes are hooked up in the stove pipe. This looks like a nice system for someone off grid or even someone that wants to save money. I should have known you were a Fisher guy when I saw your Moderator name. I don't know much about Fisher stoves and in my rebuilding of wood stoves have not purchased one.