Another Flue Possible in this Chase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I've been toying with the idea of finishing the basement. The oil hot water system is already set up for a pretty easy install of a zone down there, but it might be cool to have a little wood stove down there. I don't think I would do the stove unless I could fit the chimney up the existing pipe chase. So the chase would have two wood chimneys and one oil chimney. Would this be allowed if they could fit and I guess I relocate all the interfering hot water pipe (see picture)? I imagine outside air would be required in some form, for either the oil burner or the wood stove. Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• P3050133.JPG
    P3050133.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 236
  • P3050134.JPG
    P3050134.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 230
Depends how bad you want the wood stove down there. One option would be to power vent the furnace that would free up that flue.

But, Elk, if there was room in the chase and I moved the hot water pipe (again just toying with this whole idea) would it be okay to have two wood burning and one oil chimneys? I don't think I want to do a power vent.

"pellet or corn"? I'll be lucky I find a spot for the tri-axle load of logs that are coming, never mind storage areas for new bulk materials!
My last attempt at sweating pipe with lead-free solder was a bust, so I guess I'd have to brush up on my skills there. Come to think of it though, maybe I can use the old stuff with lead in it since drinking water's not involved.

velvetfoot said:
"pellet or corn"? I'll be lucky I find a spot for the tri-axle load of logs that are coming, never mind storage areas for new bulk materials!
My last attempt at sweating pipe with lead-free solder was a bust, so I guess I'd have to brush up on my skills there. Come to think of it though, maybe I can use the old stuff with lead in it since drinking water's not involved.

It may just be that the plumber doesn't want to have to carry different kinds of solder, but I've been told that there isn't ANY kind of copper plumbing that is currently legal for use w/ lead solder. (I know that lead solder isn't legal on hot water pipes - you don't drink it, but some people cook with it...)

Gooserider

Velvetfoot you must be doing something wrong. One you have not removed any water you have not sanded or brushed the pipe right or crap has gotten
into your flux. The next tip I suggest is to use a map torch push button on. It getts hoter and silver saolder flows better with the additional heat.

velvetfoot said:
Even for hot water heating piping?

Could be wrong, but I think thats the case. I beleive the arguement was that if they didn't let the plumbers use the lead stuff at all, they wouldn't risk accidentally using it on the wrong piping. The other issue is that there would be some risk of "cross contamination" if one used the same brushes and tools on both types.

IMHO if you are doing it right, there shouldn't be much reason to prefer type one over the other for getting the job done, and if you don't have the lead around you won't use it in the wrong place by accident.

Gooserider

Just thought I'd update this thread that I searched for since I'm thinking, again, about a stove in the basement.

I got some new solder and flux as a kit, a while ago, from HD, and it worked just like the lead stuff!
I must have used the wrong combo flux/solder before, because I didn't change my 'technique'.

Status
Not open for further replies.