Another fun little development

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
Read the specs on this mini. If true, it would be one fun little car.

http://www.pmlflightlink.com/news.html

Very cool, but their development was aimed at performance. I wonder how much range or MPG could be achieved if performance were kept to a more sedate target.....Like 150 bhp vs 650. 100 mpg vs 80(which is still darned impressive), or a Honda Odyssey instead of a Mini. We need real world and practical solutions for the masses, not the niche markets. Honda's, toyota, and ford's hybrid's are a step in the right direction, with the exception of the Insight, but again, Honda puts hybrid drive into a car with a V6 and achieves stunning performance, but misses the point. We need triple digit fuel economy.

About 4 or 5 years ago I read an article on a Dodge Intreped that got 80 mpg...Where the heck is Dodge with that car?

Burn-1 said:
Warren said:
BeGreen said:
About 4 or 5 years ago I read an article on a Dodge Intreped that got 80 mpg...Where the heck is Dodge with that car?
Look for production models in 2-3 years

Dodge Intrepid ESX

Cool, Yup that's the one. be great if the actually got them to market. They'd turn the company around with that one car.

I think they are thinking more practically. They say that doing this to a BMW Mini presented lots of challenges - not very light, not a lot of room for batteries, etc. and that if they could conquer this problem then retrofitting mom's minivan should be more straight-forward. Me, I'd like to see a car, truck, mini or whatever designed from the ground up with their motors and controllers. I particularly like that the vehicle can run so long on regenerative braking. If true, that's a big breakthrough. The Prius takes a lot of downhills or long, slow stops to charge up the battery bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.