Another hearth pad question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trudd

Jun 10, 2008
Rhode Island
Hi everyone, I've searched on here a lot and found some great info. but still have some questions.

I just purchased a Country Flame Harvester pellet/corn stove. The manual states that the stove was "tested with a listed floor protection that had an R-value of 1.5" and this is what they recommend be used. I know, sounds pretty straight forward but to me it seems like a bit much for a pellet stove. The stove has legs which provide about 3 1/2 inches of air space between the bottom of the stove and the floor. I'm thinking with that much air space I should not have to build a hearth pad with that high of an R-value. Ideally, I'd like to place it directly on some ceramic tile laid on a 3/4" sheet of plywood (maybe throw some durock in between for strength). What do you all think? Dont get me wrong, safety is the number one priority. I just don't want to make more work and spend more money building a hearth pad if it's not necessary. If anyone would like to read the manual for them self here's a link http://countryflame.com/pdf/OwnerManuals-March08/Harvester_V6.0c.pdf It's on page 27. Thanks for your help everyone.

Dave

Hi Dave. I'm probably not going to be much help to you, but I'm in a bit of a hearth dilema myself. My new stove manual provides no "k-value" at all - only saying that the hearth must be UL-approved which tells me nothing. Like you, I have done a lot of searching on constructing a hearth both here on these forums and online elsewhere.

If my installation manual provided me with a specific k-value as yours does, I would make sure I met the requirements as far as the hearth construction is concerned. But as you know, there are many factors that go into the proper materials used, etc.

Here is a link that provided me with the most accurate information and helped me understand what hearth considerations were all about. I have just emailed Quadra-Fire directly to see if they could provide me with an actual k-value for my stove so I can meet the necessary construction requirements.

I'd be curiuos to see exactly how you constructed your hearth if you don't mind.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.