Another help choose a woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pondlick burner

Jan 20, 2022
Elkins WV
This message board has really been helpful in learning about all the brands out there. All my previous stoves have been bought from the town trading post or a hand me down.

Times have changed and no longer concerned about the cheapest option.

I will be putting this in an 1,800 square foot off grid cabin. Well insulated, but on a concrete slab. Anytime I show up between October and May the cabin can be below freezing. The existing stove is a sierra stove at least 20 years old. It works fine, 8 hour burns, and puts out some heat, but not like the old earth stove I used to have. That thing would get hot. It will sometimes take a full 12 hours of burning on high to get the cabin up to 50 degrees. That is on the coldest days.

I originally was thinking a bk king 40. Go big or go home. I love the idea of the long burns, but to be honest more important then that is straight up heat. I read about some stove having higher btu and then I read those numbers are hogwash.

Is there any recommendations for that? Maybe the king 40 is the way to go. I am sure it puts out more heat then the sierra, but I do hear some complaining about it not getting as hot as some of the other options out there.

Thanks for any suggestions or options to research.

This message board has really been helpful in learning about all the brands out there. All my previous stoves have been bought from the town trading post or a hand me down.

Times have changed and no longer concerned about the cheapest option.

I will be putting this in an 1,800 square foot off grid cabin. Well insulated, but on a concrete slab. Anytime I show up between October and May the cabin can be below freezing. The existing stove is a sierra stove at least 20 years old. It works fine, 8 hour burns, and puts out some heat, but not like the old earth stove I used to have. That thing would get hot. It will sometimes take a full 12 hours of burning on high to get the cabin up to 50 degrees. That is on the coldest days.

I originally was thinking a bk king 40. Go big or go home. I love the idea of the long burns, but to be honest more important then that is straight up heat. I read about some stove having higher btu and then I read those numbers are hogwash.

Is there any recommendations for that? Maybe the king 40 is the way to go. I am sure it puts out more heat then the sierra, but I do hear some complaining about it not getting as hot as some of the other options out there.

Thanks for any suggestions or options to research.
Blaze kings are not the stoves to choose for high btu output. They just aren't all that good at it. Honestly for bringing a cold cabin up to temp a big old basic steel box that can crank out lots of heat is a good option

Reactions: pen and jalmondale
Blaze kings are not the stoves to choose for high btu output. They just aren't all that good at it.
That is what I was reading after digging in. At first it seemed like just the ticket, but after reading 20 pages of post on the topic, I thought I better look in another direction. Is the bk problem indicative of all cat stoves?

If so what would be the best technology to look at for mixing burn time with big heat?

I think for quick heat, a tube stove would work better. Go with a big firebox to get long burns so when you arrive, you can light it and the next morning have a hot reload.

That is what I was reading after digging in. At first it seemed like just the ticket, but after reading 20 pages of post on the topic, I thought I better look in another direction. Is the bk problem indicative of all cat stoves?

If so what would be the best technology to look at for mixing burn time with big heat?
Other cat stoves can put out lots of heat but really why spend the money on a stove that excels at low and long burns when you need high btu output.

A Jotul F500 V3 in stock configuration would probably do it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Untill the cat disintegrates and takes the baffle with it

Other cat stoves can put out lots of heat but really why spend the money on a stove that accels at low and long burns when you need high btu output.
If I could combine the 2, I would be interested in spending the money. We don’t use the cabin year round, but the stove is very important to keeping wife and kids happy and willing to visit more often.

Reactions: Hinker25
Any suggestions for a big firebox tube stove?

No; it depends a lot on what you(r significant other) likes to see.

Get an EPA non-cat stove, possibly even with a tax credit. I'd not go smaller than a 2 cu ft firebox. As.i think you want quick, good heat when you arrive in a cold cabin, I'd stay away from soap stone stoves.

Look for.stoves that have been on the market for a few years so that initial issues have been resolved.

And recognize that a stove will remain a space heater, so that rooms farther away will be cooler. Look whether you can create an air circuit rather than one two-way heat street.

Reactions: pondlick burner
Any suggestions for a big firebox tube stove?
SBI makes some big ole hoss steel stoves that are a great value!

Reactions: stoveliker
Maybe a hybrid one (with tubes and a cat)?

I'm not sure why you want a cat stove. Cat stoves like BKs are good for continuous heating. (Stable temps, stable heat demand, and possible to burn while not cooking out of the house in shoulder seasons). It this will be used in a place that needs quick heat up, I'd go with a big tube stove. Big for less frequent reloads and high heat output after arrival in a cold cabin.

If you want to heat also in shoulder season (off grid) then you'd need to make intermittent fires.

A King does put out good heat. BKs are also used in Alaska. I do think it's possible, but you'd have to be prepared to have a bit slower heat up.

Reactions: jalmondale
I guess I’m just looking for something that might be the best of both worlds. Maybe not 40 hour burn times but a good solid 12 hour burn time would be nice. I would be willing to sacrifice some length for more heat but maybe find something that’s pretty good at both parts instead of completely one way or the other.

Maybe the Woodstock Ideal Steel hybrid could work? Hybrids aim to be the best of both worlds, so if that's what you're looking for, that seems like a good fit.

12 hour burns can be had with 2.5 cu ft fireboxes, I believe, even if non cat.

Note that most hybrids have a cat to clean the air, rather than to provide heat while burning at a lower rate (as a BK). However, cleaning up the air (when burning at a lower rate) is good as it also extends the output range where clean burning can be had to lower outputs (the thing for which BKs are known; normal working at higher outputs, but capable of constant steady heat at lower outputs than many other stoves of the same size).

12 hour burns can be had with 2.5 cu ft fireboxes, I believe, even if non cat.
Have a model in mind? That certainly wouldn't be the norm...heck, even some 3-3.5 CF tube stoves won't do a 12 hr burn.

I was thinking of the Buck stove (2.4 cu ft, claimed to have a 12 hr burn time) - but I see it has a catalyst too..

It's cutting it close though; 3 cu ft is surely easier.

Blaze kings are not the stoves to choose for high btu output. They just aren't all that good at it. Honestly for bringing a cold cabin up to temp a big old basic steel box that can crank out lots of heat is a good option
Just came across this thread, and I find this quite interesting; while I agree with you that the BKs are in the low and slow game, I also feel that they can crank out heat when needed. I’ve done it a couple times (playing catch up in a cold house), granted I don’t get the house up to comfortable temps in 5 mins however it also doesn’t take hours, but I’ve never paid attention. One of these days I’ll test this out and record some data to see what the numbers really are.

Reactions: pondlick burner
The Osburn 3300 is a 3.3 cf stove and throws real good heat, real quick. I can load at 7pm and have alot of coals at 6am. Now that I have learned this stove, I would recommend. Other large stoves out there could do the job I am sure.

In the end I went with a king 40. The cabin is 1800 square feet and the main living room Is 900. I figured the king would be able to warm it up even if slightly slower and the long burn times for the rest of the year were a good trade off. Delivery time is about 12 weeks so I will update my experience when it comes in.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I guess I’m just looking for something that might be the best of both worlds. Maybe not 40 hour burn times but a good solid 12 hour burn time would be nice. I would be willing to sacrifice some length for more heat but maybe find something that’s pretty good at both parts instead of completely one way or the other.
The burn time is going to be relative to the firebox size and heat demand. Even a cat stove's burn time drops notably when it's being pushed for heat. In non-cat, I would look at a big radiant, unshielded stove like the Drolet Austral III. In a catalytic hybrid, the Woodstock Ideal Steel may be a good compromise.

So how is the king 40 working for u? Like, Love, Dislike?

+1 drolet austral. Currently running. Would get your main area to 80 if you wanted in a couple hours. Heating 600 main. 600 sqft side rooms. I keep a window open during the day all winter