Another hookaroon thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

max384

Nov 28, 2015
Eagle Rock, PA
Hey guys, anyone have any experience with the Fiskars or Woodchuck hookaroons?

I already have a Fiskars axe and a Woodchuck timberjack, and both companies make amazing products, so I'm having trouble deciding on which one to get. Here are the two I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L801DZW/?tag=hearthamazon-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYA0T9B/?tag=hearthamazon-20

The Woodchuck looks to be more solid, and slightly longer, and the button on the bottom is a bonus too. The downsides are that it is heavier and costs twice as much.

The Fiskars looks lighter, sharper, and is half the cost. The downsides are that it looks more fragile (but I know Fiskars makes quality products) and doesn't have the button for quick and easy orientation.

If the prices were equal, I think I'd go with the Woodchuck... But is it worth twice the cost?

Other hookaroon thread starter here...

Thanks for the links. I just ordered the Fiskars. I like Fiskars products, the handle looks like it'd be easier on your arm than a steel handle, and they claim the hook releases easily. That was one reason I liked my blunt tip hookaroon. That plus, in my mind anyway, lol, the blunt hook wouldn't go as deep into my boot top.

I prefer curvy wood handles over straight hollow handles on a hookaroon. My current favorite is a 36" Peavy Mfg. Hume Head model. The wood handle is much lighter than it looks and it just feels good.

You can get just about any point well stuck in wood if you use gorilla muscles. These tools are designed to take surprisingly little force to stick, and just a flick of the wrist or change in angle to free it.

Last edited:
Reactions: max384
I prefer curvy wood handles over straight hollow handles on a hookaroon. My current favorite is a 36' Peavy Mfg. Hume Head model. The wood handle is much lighter than it looks and it just feels good.

You can get just about any point well stuck in wood if you use gorilla muscles. These tools are designed to take surprisingly little force to stick, and just a flick of the wrist or change in angle to free it.

Thanks for the link. I actually ended up going with the Woodchuck Hookaroon... but I got it from the website you linked. It was only $39.99 there, as opposed to $72 on Amazon. Easy choice then!

There must be something magical about the 28" handle. The wood handle I cut on my original hookaroon was curvy and 28" as well. The length did work well for me, as I move rounds around the splitter. Maybe a 36" length is better for getting them out of a pickup?

I had Peavey make this one for me a while ago. Its 6' and can reach all the way into an 8' pickup bed.
DSC06946.JPG photo (1).JPG
Its not doing me much good here in Vegas now, but maybe one day....

I made this one years ago. 1/4"x2" stock, plus one Grade 5 bolt plus an axe handle from the local flea market.

CjXu7s6.jpg

2NkGN36.jpg

Reactions: TreePointer
Well, now that I have my hookaroon... I never use it. I thought this was going to be a great product that was going to change how I moved firewood... But it isn't. I find that if I don't hook it good and deep, it slips out. However, when I hook it deep, I spend more time trying to get it out than if I were just moving it by hand. I haven't been able to find a sweet spot. I want to like using it, but I just can't.

That's the thing about the original hookaroon I had on it. It kind of had a chunky end on it that released a little easier.