Another Newbie Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJitters

Jun 10, 2008
Vermont
Any of you that vent directly out the side of your house experience any issues with soot on your house? I have heard some horror stories and not sure if they are true. Should I just extend up above the roof line? :question:

Mr. Jitters. I too am new to this and can only share what I have read here and elsewhere. The bigger Issue is the fact that in a power outage you could have smoke back up into the house. This is because with a through the wall installation there is no natural draft created. Most of what I have read says you should have a minimum of three to four feet of vertical rise in the pipe before terminating. If that's not completely true some one will correct me.

Very well said bostonbaked. If a power outage occurs with a direct vent (just straight out the back through the wall) then there is no natural vertical draft which is caused by the rising column of heated air. The auger, combustion blower and convection blower are now turned off and if in the middle of a burn cycle, the only thing that can happen is the pellets will just burn themselves out inside the stove with no way of venting out the exhaust ventpipe, so the smoke finds the path of least resistance and manages to find its way into your room, one way is through the window wash vent.

If I had to do a direct vent, I would be sure to have some sort of backup power supply to ensure that the motors continue to operate, at least giving me enough time to get a generator cranked up. My 3" vent comes out the back of my stove into a "T" then straight up through my ceiling and then roof a total of 14'. I'm hoping to provide some sort of battery backup before the snow flies.

Steve

Thanx for the quick replies, guys. I should clarify my question a little. I will have about 5 feet of vertical rise in my run before I exit to the outside. At that point I will be 24 inches above grade and the outlet 12 inches from the house. Has anyone experience soot problems with a similar installation?

MrJitters said:
Thanx for the quick replies, guys. I should clarify my question a little. I will have about 5 feet of vertical rise in my run before I exit to the outside. At that point I will be 24 inches above grade and the outlet 12 inches from the house. Has anyone experience soot problems with a similar installation?
I will defer to someone with more experience. But it sounds like we have the same sort of set up. I am also going horizontal away from the house with a short section of pipe and then one of the horizontal caps that can swivel to direct the flow where you want it to go. It ends up about a foot and a half away from the house. I'll also be watching for advise on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.