Another score?- 029 Farmboss- $50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got the clutch today, but now I realize I need a worm gear and maybe more....
I definitely need a parts list more than anything at this point so I know exactly what is or isn't missing.

And that little broken chip that I thought was part of the crank pan...it's actually part of the oiler. Which is good I guess, if I need to replace that since it will be a heck of alot easier than a new crank pan.

So at this point, I'm researching on the 'rope in the cylinder' trick to get the old clutch off of the saw.

pm sent.. more good reading....

as for the rope trick make make sure the rope does not go into the exhaust port or the piston can cut it off...

Thanks southbound. Man that makes things sooo much more clear and easier than hours of searching the net.

Looks like I need an oil pump and worm gear.

Bought a new (forester) oil pump/worm gear from dealer today.
Now I realize that I may need the damn white plastic elbow on the top of the oiler. It got damaged when the clutch came apart, not sure if it's leaking though.
Gonna get one from the dealer tomorrow just in case....but in the meantime, I'm putting it back together and gonna fire it up and make sure the clutch is working and chain is moving.

Question is, I read/saw somewhere that I should remove the recoil when tightening the clutch nut. Something about the reverse thread on the clutch could damage something on the recoil. That was on a Husqvarna saw. Does the same go for the Stihl?

edit: Saw is running and good I might add. This tuning thing aint so tough after all.
I am losing oil though. It must be that white plastic elbow on the oil pump that is damaged. That gets fixed tomorrow.

The 'control screw' as it's called, on the bottom of the oiler, basically has a 1/2 turn of adjustability.
The control screw on the new oiler that I put on was set at full lock to the right. Where should that screw be set at? In the middle of the adjustment?
Is the current setting at full open now and allowing too much oil to come through the oiler or whatever it regulates?

Longer Bars need more oil. Some people just ler 'er rip. I would make a few cuts starting with it adjusted to the middle position and see how the chain looks.

MasterMech said:
Longer Bars need more oil. Some people just ler 'er rip. I would make a few cuts starting with it adjusted to the middle position and see how the chain looks.

Gotcha. I thought about putting it in the middle but I just kept it the way I got it. Thought maybe that was where it needed to be from the factory.

Good luck. No offense meant to anybody or against Stihl - but here is my very limited experience. I had an 031, bought new, probably used less than 20 hrs over the course of a few years just to clean up storm damage for me and Dad. It was a great saw. Stored inside heated garage. Went to use it a couple years ago and it would start and idle but die when you tried to rev it and cut. I did fresh gas, plug, fuel filter, pick up tube, everything I knew how to do, gave up and took it in twice to a dealer and they "rebuilt carb", changed plug (again), fuel filter, etc. They claimed it ran perfect, but it never would run for me again. I got tired of messing with it and finally bought a Husky 455 when I got my wood stove. I took it to auction with a bunch of other stuff to get rid of it. When the auction place was checking it in, I told them how it would start but wouldn't run, started it up, and it revved up and ran like a striped-#####-ape. Ran it wide open, turned it ever which way, for about 5 minutes. Perfect. I probably should have kept it but by then I was a little PO'd. I figured as soon as I got it home it would quit again. I think it brought $50 at auction. Husky runs great, happy ending.

stub said:
Good luck. No offense meant to anybody or against Stihl - but here is my very limited experience. I had an 031, bought new, probably used less than 20 hrs over the course of a few years just to clean up storm damage for me and Dad. It was a great saw. Stored inside heated garage. Went to use it a couple years ago and it would start and idle but die when you tried to rev it and cut. I did fresh gas, plug, fuel filter, pick up tube, everything I knew how to do, gave up and took it in twice to a dealer and they "rebuilt carb", changed plug (again), fuel filter, etc. They claimed it ran perfect, but it never would run for me again. I got tired of messing with it and finally bought a Husky 455 when I got my wood stove. I took it to auction with a bunch of other stuff to get rid of it. When the auction place was checking it in, I told them how it would start but wouldn't run, started it up, and it revved up and ran like a striped-#####-ape. Ran it wide open, turned it ever which way, for about 5 minutes. Perfect. I probably should have kept it but by then I was a little PO'd. I figured as soon as I got it home it would quit again. I think it brought $50 at auction. Husky runs great, happy ending.

Cool story. Thanks for sharing. But what does that have to do with the resurrection of an 029 Farmboss?

Once upon a time, I went to work and it was cold. The concrete wouldn't set up and I was there all night. I had to pack breakfast, lunch and supper. But my bologna wasn't Oscar Mayer and I was so disappointed that I didn't eat my supper. Boy was that a mistake. Next time I'll know not to buy Eckridge bologna, I've never had a problem with Oscar Mayer bologna. Good stuff for sure.

Lol.

Put the new oil pump connector/elbow thingy on.
Saw runs great. But chain is so dull, it woudln't cut a 2x4. That's probably how the clutch blew apart to begin with.

So in the past couple weeks, I bought a non-running 038av for $65 plus $30 for a new carb and it runs great. Total $95.
Then this 029 Farmboss for $50 that I got running with fresh gas, new plug and a cleaned filter. Add another $60 for clutch assembly and oil pump. Total $110.

The most value I got from all this was the knowledge and understanding of these saws. As mentioned, there really isn't much to them.
Thanks for all the help, especially Southbound.

-finally got my digital camera yesterday. lol
-and the 036 with the scored piston/cylinder is next.

es0oja.jpg

lookin good!!!!!

I have a 034 project

and 034 that will end up a 036 project...

So I will be watching....

Also that 036 would be a good one to learn how to split a case and replace bearings ;)

edit: pull the jug you may be able to save the cylinder...

Status
Not open for further replies.