Another seasoning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TJ1

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2015
Tennessee
We have some white oak trees that been down for almost a year. Last week I cut some of them up to 12 inch long sections then split them. No split is wider than 2 inches at any point and all bark is removed. They are stacked off the ground in an area that receives sun almost all day long. These will be used as tinder when we start fires inside the stove.
Think they will be ready by November of this year?

White oak is my slowest drying firewood. That being said your split size and sunny drying location will help you but I’d be willing to bet you’ll have some sizzlers here and there.

White oak is my slowest drying firewood.

I have to disagree with this statement. I’d say, if anything, red oak is MUCH slower to dry than white. My entire property (10 wooded acres) is filled with nothing but red and white oak (and the occasional juvenile maple). I have observed white oak to have checking within only a few weeks, and have measured MC at 50% less after just one month (in the winter, no less). Whereas red oak is still often just as heavy as the day I split it for several months later (and it stinks just as much, too!)

As a scientist (yes, I am a scientist in real life) I must admit that these statements are not scientific. Yet, my anecdotal experience suggests that next season I will probably have a decent burn with the white (split this winter), and will have to use the red only once the fire is already raging.

Happy to hear the opinions of others, of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, it’s my slowest seasoning wood. Maybe MC will be the same or even less than red but I sure do get better burns out of the white if it’s at least one year older than my red. Never have put too much thought into it, it’s just what I do based on what I see. Guess a lot of the red oak I’ve cut for years is dead or dying. Whites have been alive. It’s funny, but some people swear white oak is junk and it burns as well as a stove load of rocks. I really like it if it’s dry. Just my story