Another Snowmagedon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I guess the president is getting boring the last few days, so the hype machine is cranked up for the Northeaster tomorrow. Looks like I am on the predicted fringe but the catch is the weatherfolks keep the maximum number of eyeballs on ads by hyping the difference between various forecast models. I see the price for heating oil is up in my area and the storm means folks are heading to the stores a bit earlier for Christmas shopping so someone is listening to it.

I guess the president is getting boring the last few days, so the hype machine is cranked up for the Northeaster tomorrow. Looks like I am on the predicted fringe but the catch is the weatherfolks keep the maximum number of eyeballs on ads by hyping the difference between various forecast models. I see the price for heating oil is up in my area and the storm means folks are heading to the stores a bit earlier for Christmas shopping so someone is listening to it.

Locally there are estimates that say 1-3" or 3-6". Definitely a big difference, but I'm thinking it will be closer to 1" here.

We are in the one to two foot area

Yes I did appear to put out potential bait I suppose but its entirely someone else's prerogative to take it and run with it.

Getting mostly sleet here but enough that the kiddos were able to go out and get pulled around on a sled.

We currently have 3 or 4" just finished plowing the first time

We got our 3rd Nor’easter in a month. All rain. Would have loved snow, instead the back yard is under water. No where for all this water to go. Arizona is looking like a nice retirement spot more and more every day

4" going on and howling here on Easter LI.
This afternoon I heard predictions of 6-12". School closed Thursday, and no virtual learning - old-fashioned snow day here.

Going to find a good sloped sledding spot I guess...

I was kind of excited to work today, but so far it seems like a bust.

To get the wife out to the hospital (work, no emergency), I just shoveled 7", drifts up to 1 ft (and 1 ft clumps from the snowplow...). Bottom wet and heavy, top icy and crusty. Car was iced over and crusty 4" on top.

Still howling and snowing.

My stacks are still top covered; tarps did not tear on sharp split corners in this high wind - though quite a bit of powder blew in from the sides.

I bet we have around 3 feet. Back door is snowed shut. 6 foot fence looks like there's 2 feet left without snow.

• Wow
Reactions: moresnow
Had 10-12" when the dogs got me up about 0545.
Nother 3-5" out there & it's gonna keep up until noonish...
Could be 20"+ by the time it ends...

Two neighboring towns are reporting 9.3" and 10.1" on the news weather map at 7:30 AM. Going to snow most of the day, too. Easily will be over a foot. I hear a snow blower outside. I'll go out to deal with it when it stops later this afternoon.

Looked outside and someone hit the fire hydrant at the end of our driveway in the cul de sac. Pretty good lean to it from the angle I am viewing it. Most likely a plow backing up to do the end of the street. Called public works and the fire department and left messages. Called police dispatch since I wanted to talk with a person. He said that he'll also call public works.

Attachments

• IMG_2287 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2287 - Copy.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 125
Two neighboring towns are reporting 9.3" and 10.1" on the news weather map at 7:30 AM. Going to snow most of the day, too. Easily will be over a foot. I hear a snow blower outside. I'll go out to deal with it when it stops later this afternoon.

Looked outside and someone hit the fire hydrant at the end of our driveway in the cul de sac. Pretty good lean to it from the angle I am viewing it. Most likely a plow backing up to do the end of the street. Called public works and the fire department and left messages. Called police dispatch since I wanted to talk with a person. He said that he'll also call public works.
I am surprised you don't have water on the surface yet. Cast doesn't "lean" well:)

Yes. Very surprised that it is leaning that much and I don't have a geyser or at least a Beverly Hillbillies "and up through the ground come a bubblin' crude." :)

The good thing with all the snow, is even with it 18F out, the furnace won't kick on. I'm pretty sure the cumulative insulation of my roof is R150.

• Haha
Reactions: moresnow
Binghampton, NY cleared 41", setting a new record. Lots of plowing out to do there.