another temperature question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiest

Jan 31, 2007
Avalon Pendleton set up as an insert, flexible steel liner to roof. 1 1/2 stories.

Dealer sent someone to the house today to fix a problem with paint coming off the door. He asked if I burned it really hot and I said well no. 500 degrees is as hot as I can get the thing. But it usually is around 400. for those of you familiar with the stove it has a lip that extends a few inched over the door. I have my thermometer an inch or 2 back just about the door. He said oh well you should have it around 600 in order to get secondary combustion (I thought this was just in catalytic stoves). anyways, he did not seem that knowledgeable. Is this stove just too small to get that hot? am I risking alot of buildup from running like this? am I not getting an accurate temp reading? I know all stoves are different... is anyone familiar with this one? and finally does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this thing get hotter (burning techniques). sorry so many questions but Im a noob.

Attachments

• IM003292.JPG
    IM003292.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 488
  • IM003293.JPG
    IM003293.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 450
I think 500 degrees where you have that thermometer placed is very hot!

thats likely 700+ around the flu connect, based on how my own stove temps vary among areas of the top.

smaller pieces of dry wood should give a good hot fire!

shiest said:
Avalon Pendleton set up as an insert, flexible steel liner to roof. 1 1/2 stories.

Dealer sent someone to the house today to fix a problem with paint coming off the door. He asked if I burned it really hot and I said well no. 500 degrees is as hot as I can get the thing. But it usually is around 400. for those of you familiar with the stove it has a lip that extends a few inched over the door. I have my thermometer an inch or 2 back just about the door. He said oh well you should have it around 600 in order to get secondary combustion (I thought this was just in catalytic stoves). anyways, he did not seem that knowledgeable. Is this stove just too small to get that hot? am I risking alot of buildup from running like this? am I not getting an accurate temp reading? I know all stoves are different... is anyone familiar with this one? and finally does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this thing get hotter (burning techniques). sorry so many questions but Im a noob.

Looking at the light color of those bricks it looks like you are burning just fine. Where you have the thermometer is fine. Are the temps you are referring to with or without the blower running. If running try looking at the temp without it turned on. It will be fifty or a hundred degrees hotter.

BrotherBart said:
shiest said:

Looking at the light color of those bricks it looks like you are burning just fine. Where you have the thermometer is fine. Are the temps you are referring to with or without the blower running. If running try looking at the temp without it turned on. It will be fifty or a hundred degrees hotter.

That was my thought and question about the blower being on or not where the thermometer is located.

Guys,

to get 500 right there where he has the temp probe, with or without the fan, what will the temps in the top center of the stove be?

My stove is of similar design, but a cat stove, front temps are NEVER even 400, even with the center top of stove at 900+

?

Sometimes in the very front the air wash system can cool down the stove where it passes through the stove. A little farther back it can get a lot hotter especially with secondary burn stoves as the heat passes right by this area.

Lots of the free standing stoves recommend the thermo being right there. The gases exit in the front of the firebox and make metal contact at that point. I have measured mine front back and middle. The front always most accurately reflects the firebox temps. Yes, on startup the stove top is hotter back by the flue collar but it isn't until it is at 450 to 500 up front that secondary combustion lights off consistently.

the problem is I dont think I can set it back any farther. there is a shroud over the stove between which the air appears to circulate. that lip where I have the thermometer is on metal that is in contact with the stove any farther back and I would be placing the thermometer on a shroud that has a half inch gap between it and the stove. even if I placed it next to the flue collar the collar passes through this shroud so it still wouldnt be in direct contact. so there doesnt appear to be any good place to put this thing.

BrotherBart said:
Lots of the free standing stoves recommend the thermo being right there. The gases exit in the front of the firebox and make metal contact at that point. I have measured mine front back and middle. The front always most accurately reflects the firebox temps. Yes, on startup the stove top is hotter back by the flue collar but it isn't until it is at 450 to 500 up front that secondary combustion lights off consistently.

so you think temps between 400-500 are ok? should I be able to get them much hotter. bear in mind, this is a stove with an extremely small firebox. I could load it up but there is no room for air to circulate. And if I leave room for air then there isnt alot of wood in there at all. you think this could be the problem? the firebox capacity is only 1.3 cubic feet ( I just looked it up )

gotcha,

dang, ive got the airwash intake right there, so I guess that cools mine down in that area.

sorry, I cant offer much help, I would think that 500 degrees right there would make good heat!

shiest said:
the problem is I dont think I can set it back any farther. there is a shroud over the stove between which the air appears to circulate. that lip where I have the thermometer is on metal that is in contact with the stove any farther back and I would be placing the thermometer on a shroud that has a half inch gap between it and the stove. even if I placed it next to the flue collar the collar passes through this shroud so it still wouldnt be in direct contact. so there doesnt appear to be any good place to put this thing.

here is another thing that may or may not be a clue to you more experienced burners. when I damp it down all the way, I often loose all flames and get glowing logs. no flames. there are cool looking flames for about 2 minutes but once that air is used up the go out. is this normal?

shiest said:
BrotherBart said:

so you think temps between 400-500 are ok? should I be able to get them much hotter. bear in mind, this is a stove with an extremely small firebox. I could load it up but there is no room for air to circulate. And if I leave room for air then there isnt alot of wood in there at all. you think this could be the problem? the firebox capacity is only 1.3 cubic feet ( I just looked it up )

Mine is three times that firebox size and it cruises beautifully at 500. Of course the lowest temperature we have had around here is six to nine degrees at night and the stove runs around the clock from 300 to 500.

I didn't notice this on thread so .. .. . when I damp my insert down too much I get a little creosote buildup on the sides of glass, doesn't look like you are getting any buildup . . so that is a good sign

shiest said:
here is another thing that may or may not be a clue to you more experienced burners. when I damp it down all the way, I often loose all flames and get glowing logs. no flames. there are cool looking flames for about 2 minutes but once that air is used up the go out. is this normal?

The cool looking secondary flames that only last two minutes mean that you have closed the air a little too much, provided that the wood is good and charred. Try finding the lowest setting that will give you sustained secondary combustion. Not all setups will be able to run with the air all the way closed and still have active secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.