another thermostat ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
ok, I am thinking about attaching a thermostat to me stove. The manual says any switching device rated to 5vdc can be used. Well, I have been looking online for one and can't seem to come across one that states this. Lowes has a cheap on, 5 + 2 Day Programmable Thermostat ENERGY STAR®, but again it does not say if it is rated 5vdc. You guys have any suggestions for one? Cheap and programmable preferred I guess.

also the manual says this: "high/low" mode.with the switch in this position, your heater will alternate from a factory preset low to the setting you have chosen with the heat select.

what does this mean. ( I must be tired or something, that is not making sense)

For the high / low, your stove will be burning all the time. When your thermostat is not calling for heat, the stove burns on a low setting (probably the lowest setting your stove will burn). Then, when the room cools and the thermostat calls for heat, the stove will kick on to a higher setting (whichever one you have designated). It will burn at that higher setting until the room reaches temp. and the thermostat no longer calls for heat, then it will kick back onto the low setting. And so on -- that allows you to maintain the room temp without having to constantly manually adjust your stove.

can someone tell me what this means... device rated to 5vdc can be used.... I went to get a thermostat today, told them I need a thermostat that is rated to 5vdc and they looked at me like I was dumb. Most of them say 24 volts on them.
Should I be able to use something like this
FocusPRO.jpg

Or what kind do I need...

so I got a thermostat today. Got some wire (of course not enough wire). I hooked it up and tested it out.. I programmed the tstat but it doesn't seem like it was working right. I set my stove to hi/low, had my setting on 3. Just to test it out, I set it to 80 degrees ( room was 70) but the stove seemed to stay in low, very small fire. However if I manually raised the tstat temp the stove did seem to go in heat setting 3. So any suggestions to why it wouldn't work using the program settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.