Another Trailer Wiring Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Took the utility trailer to the dump today....the parking lights on the side of the trailer work, but on the rear, only one out of 4 lights work.
The parking/brake and directional is completely out on the drivers side, and on the pass side...parking is working, but brake and directional not working.
I checked all the bulbs, and all are fine.
I am thinking the wiring harness where it makes the connections is bad, as where you plug in the male/female part these is a lot of crud/bluish green stuff around the contacts....cleaned out as best as I could and just got the side lights to work. Best bet just replacing both the male/female wiring harness? (I don't have a ohm meter to tell if the current is making it to the rears)
Thanks.

You did not say what type of vehicle and if the wiring/converter is stock or not. Often times the converter is bad and you just get a new harness - converter included - and replace the old one. Etrailer.com has them as cheap as I found them.

You do not need an Ohm Meter but a volt meter or a test light. Should be getting the 12 volts at the end of your wiring harness - check there first before worrying about the trailer wiring...

Thanks, I was looking at them on etrailer and the price is right.
I don't have a volt meter or a test light.....I know....so, I am just going to cut the wires and do a good old fashioned temp splice job to confirm its in the wiring harness...if after splicing all the wires together, and all works, it should be the connector....if it doesn't work, it looks like I am going to be replacing the wiring on the trailer.
My ride is a 2002 Subaru, with a 4 prong adapter for the lights. Trailer is your typical home made jobbie....but it works well untill I can buy a truck :)

Check to make sure you have good grounds a the light assemblies. Bad ground will give you some strange symptoms. You'd need an ohmeter or testlight though.

Did a splice and hard wire, and all works fine, so its the connectors.
Picked up one at Walmart for $4.00, and will install today sometime.
Thanks guys.

When splicing wires, solder them to ensure they don't degrade due to corrosion. Put a dab of dielectric grease on them and use heat shrink tubing as well. If you use those IDC splices, put dielectric grease in them. Be careful in the use of RTV silicone which contains acetic acid and may lead to corrosion.

Dielectric grease on the connectors and in the bulb sockets are a good thing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.