Another tree id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saewoody

Feeling the Heat
Feb 15, 2017
CT
I picked up a trailer load of wood from a co worker who had cut this tree up last year because it fell in his front yard. He said he didn’t know what type it was. When I got there I spotted a few pieces of oak and loaded up the trailer without giving it anymore thought. I got around to splitting it today, and there appears to definitely be two different types of wood. One is oak, and I’m really not sure about the other. Any thoughts. I apologize for the pics. It was starting to get dark. The bark peeled fairly easily as I split it. It was seemed wet under the bark, and the under-layer of the bark seemed to peel. I think the flash sort of “whitewashed” the pic of the bark. And I know there is some white birch that shows in one of the pictures (that needs no identification [emoji846]). Thanks
IMG_5668.JPG
IMG_5669.JPG
IMG_5671.JPG
IMG_5672.JPG
IMG_5673.JPG
IMG_5674.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Aspen to me

Reactions: saewoody
Looks like Aspen to me
I agree with nford, I took down a large Lombardy poplar in my yard that looked almost identical to the OP's pics.

Reactions: saewoody
Thanks for the replies. I’m pretty sure this is the first time I’ve run into poplar/aspen. I had a fair amount of “tulip/yellow poplar” last year, but I’m not sure how similar they really are to each other. I know it won’t be the highest quality firewood, but as long as it helps keep the house warm it’s ok with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poplar makes a great shoulder season firewood. I've used it numerous times in the late fall and up to the late spring months. Of course, it's not sugar maple, red oak, hickory or beech, but, poplar does a nice job once completely seasoned and dry.

- New Hampshire

That's Tulip Poplar. I burn quite a bit of it every year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I agree. The bark looks like tulip poplar. Seasoned long enough, it's good firewood. Not real high BTUs, but very useful.