Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Got a bunch of stuff at the wood yard. Thought it was all the same (red oak) till I started splitting it. Seems lighter/less dense than white oak, which is what I assumed it was based on the bark IMG_20240131_131822.jpgIMG_20240131_131630.jpgIMG_20240120_154130.jpgIMG_20240120_154123.jpg

Definitely not white oak, that has bark that's kinda flaky. That last pic looks more like a hickory. These aren't from the same tree I would say.

Reactions: Crab
The last pic looks like ash.

Reactions: Osage
If the wood shown was from these parts: top left is hemlock; top right is maple, likely sugar from the beetle bore holes: agree the bottom is ash, white maybe. The bark is not furroughed enough for green and too much for black. White doesn't grow here, but I did burn some in the 70's while confined to the states of CT and MA. (USN)

Another could pic of the mystery wood. Also there were a few very large rounds that I grabbed. Thought poplar, but after splitting and looking at the bark maybe birch?
IMG_20240203_160626.jpgIMG_20240203_160619.jpgIMG_20240204_142854.jpg

Looks like beech to me. Does it grow where you are?

Another could pic of the mystery wood. Also there were a few very large rounds that I grabbed. Thought poplar, but after splitting and looking at the bark maybe birch?
View attachment 324343View attachment 324344View attachment 324345
This looks like poplar to me. The first picture at the beginning of this thread with the thick bark and redish wood looks like sassafras. Very light once dried and burns like pine. I mix some in here and there only because I have a lot of it growing in my woods

Looks like beech to me. Does it grow where you are?
Which one? Yes beech grows here, that's very possible for the 3rd pic
This looks like poplar to me. The first picture at the beginning of this thread with the thick bark and redish wood looks like sassafras. Very light once dried and burns like pine. I mix some in here and there only because I have a lot of it growing in my woods
I don't think it's poplar, didn't split quite that easily. No idea what sassafras looks like or if it grows around here

Sassafras smells like root beer when u cut it. That 1 st pic could be sassafras, the lower log.
Betting the bottom 2 pics are ash on that 1st post.

Reactions: Bobbob
Which one? Yes beech grows here, that's very possible for the 3rd pic

I don't think it's poplar, didn't split quite that easily. No idea what sassafras looks like or if it grows around here
Yes, the third one with the telltale smooth grey bark.

Got any bark pics for the other two from your recent post?

The bark on the last pic looked a bit like magnolia. Can’t say the firs two look like it though