Another wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Was cutting a standing dead tree yesterday and noticed that the saw dust really irritated my throat. Also had kinda sweet smell. Burned some in my shed today and the smoke smelled like pipe tobacco and was irritating to my throat again.
Thought I knew all the trees in Kansas but have never ran across this one before.

Attachments

• 1202181622.jpg
    1202181622.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 1202181622a.jpg
    1202181622a.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 330
Off the cuff it looks like apple.

Off the cuff it looks like apple.
Have cut apple before. We used to have an orchard when I was a kid. Never had it iritate my throat.

Based on the description and the inside of the cut, I was thinking Sassafras, but the bark looks different.
To the best of my knowledge we have no sassafras around here. Have smelled sassafras and not the same.

Cherry?

What does the bark look like?
That's a possibility. Very little bark left on it. There's a little shown in the one photo.

Tough to say from the pics, but it does look like something in the Rose family, perhaps pear, or hawthorn (pink wood) ?

Perhaps it wasn't the wood itself that irritated your throat, but just cutting a dead, dry dusty tree ?

I considered sycamore due to the irritation of nose/throat but the bark isnt right for that.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
The wood and what little bark that's theres looks like cherry.

That's a good possibility. Does not split easy. Kind of stringy like elm.
I thought of you and these pictures tonight as I brought some splits in and some of it was Dogwood and I thought "I'm pretty sure that's what this guy has", I would be very sure of it and if so it is great fuelwood!

Reactions: D8Chumley
If its dogwood It sure is a nice size

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t know a lot of woods, but I have some dogwood in my stacks and that’s what I thought also

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Yes, looks like the apple I’ve cut.