any amateur Oil/Gas investors out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bet on oil going up in the next two years and you are going to take a serious ass kicking. Even without the churn change expense from trading. You are swimming in a shark tank.

Now, go find you a stock trading forum. This ain't the place for it.

figured I'd post my silly idea here since there are a lot of oil burners in these parts :). feel free to poke holes in my reasoning.

Been spending my time reading the pellet stove and boilers forums, but popped over here for a bit.

I'm an amateur(at best) investor that generally is pretty conservative in my 401k, but I take chances in a side trading account. Some winners... some epic losers.

I got lucky and dumped a chunk of money into the ETF UWTI when it hit its low around 2 months ago.
I was watching the stock chart (went from ~$41 to ~$3 in a bit less than a year) and listening to the oil folks say that we were heading to $20 a barrel and figured... "bahhhh... time to get in."

UTWI is uber dangerous because it's sort of a 3x multiplier of OIL (the etf ticker). Example... OIL went up 3.x% today and UWTI went up 9.x% today. Likewise, UWTI took a massive hit and dropped almost 10% yesterday. Not for the faint of heart. There is also something like a 1.3% expense with UWTI ...that's kind of meh.

Anyhow, my cost basis is $2.30. I then sort of sat back and watched in astonishment as it gained... and gained. I'm up close to 50% overall since I started on March 16th. Obviously.. I got lucky on the timing.

It got me thinking though... I'm looking at moving and every house I look at has oil ... southern NH mostly, and it gets cold.

Maybe by tossing cash at either OIL or UWTI I can hedge against the eventual oil rise and defray my heating costs.

Case 1: If oil goes up in price then I get porked on heating.... but I win on the ETF.
Case 2: If oil plummets, I get cheap heating, but I'm locked into a loss longer, and possibly can grab more cheap OIL or UWTI for the next price rebound. This hinges on there being rebounds/fluctuations.

How long can crude stay at $50 to $60? Good arguments on both sides. I think we'll be at $70-80 before you know it, and $100 isn't that far away...

Does UWTI go from $3 to $40+ if we get back to $115 per barrel crude? In that case even a $1000 investment today gets you ~$12,000. That's heating costs for a few years for most people.

I thought of the doing the same thing for nat gas, since that's what I currently use... but Nat Grid seems to pork you no matter what and they nail you with a litany of other charges. With heating oil at least the price definitely drops if crude drops.

UGAZ is the 3x ETF for nat gas... up from a low of $1.75 to $2.83 today. As high as $28 in the last year.
I saw a turtle yesterday ................. I like turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.