Any arm Chair sailors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Augie

Feeling the Heat
Nov 8, 2012
North Of Canada
Saturday morning Ill be heading up Lake Huron with a few friends, on Manitou, a Beneteau First 36.7, in the Pt Huron To Mackinaw Sailboat race.
If you want to track our progress here is the tracking site
http://www.bellsbeer.com/bycmack2013/index.php

Right now the boat is snug in the Black River after delivery last Sunday.

here is a shot of the Starting line: Class C boats leave Port Huron at the start of the 1958 race.
classcboats.jpg

If you dont know about it the Pt Huron to Mackinac along with the Chicago to Mackinac are the two longest fresh water races in the world.

The Chicago race is on its 105th year and the Pt Huron Race is in its 86th. They swap order every year and last Saturday was the Chicago Race. The best part of the races is the Finish. Mackinac Island. NO cars, great scenery, and they do a great gob throwing us a party.

last years race
560985_10150920607360976_1297310676_n.jpg

Last years party on the island
391322_10150922385930976_1567170816_n.jpg

John fell asleep on the winch
314786_10150921142900976_1675419762_n.jpg

Partying with some of the crew
406187_10150922089560976_1671404625_n.jpg

Vid of the lawn party infront of the Grand Hotel
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150930300140976&l=6434774808978610147

Cool! To this dingy sailor, it looks like you're sitting on the wrong side of the boat!

If your mast ain't longer than your boat, you're too slow!

IMG_0395.JPG

DSC_5529.jpg

I like sailing, on other people's boats. After building a couple nice sailboats I learned the last thing I need is a hole in the water to pour money into.

Reactions: BrianK
begreen said:
I like sailing, on other people's boats. After building a couple nice sailboats I learned the last thing I need is a hole in the water to pour money into.

Sorry you have had bad experiences, I have owned a faw boats in my lifetime and dollars per hour has always been cheaper than just about any recreation I have been involved with. We have a large Cal 35 Fleet here in Detroit that sails Lake St Clair, 200+ boats and they are dirt cheap, $2500 plus $1000 in new sails and you have a very competitive boat. Slow as piss but great fleet, Im actually thinking of buying one this fall.

@joful, she has a 48ft mast on a 36ft boat. plenty fast, and long booms get hung up on back stays. Yea a GL70 would be faster to the Island , but this isnt about being there first, it is about winning class and overall handicap. OD is defiantly fun (i have races thistles often) but this race is one of grand traditions of our sport.

If you win the overall you get the JL Hudson Trophy
7411-J.L.HudsonTrophy.8279.jpg

The JL Hudson trophy one of the 5 oldest trophies in sports.

Reactions: Ashful
This is what the Americas Cup boats are like now......
So impressive, speeds of almost 50kts(60mph)
10 ton 72ft boats on hydrofoils powered by nothing but wind

It all started few years ago with the Moths
(full disclosure Bora is a friend)

Cool!! Looks like a great time.

In a previous lifetime I was vice Commodore of our College sailing club for a couple years, we sailed International 420s on Lake Saratoga in upstate NY (looks similar - but a bit smaller - to what Joful is sailing). I haven't been out on a boat in close to 15 years tho.

I am crazy jealous. Good luck.

A few years back, we were in St. Martin and did an excursion offered by the cruise ship to spend the day on the "Stars and Stripes" ran by some of Dennis Conner's team. We went out for a few hours, 8 tourists and 4 "real crew" and all learned a job, mine was rope wench, hubby cranked the sail, all in preparation to actually participate in a race with another yacht later that day. We STILL talk about how awesome it was, bloody and blistered by the end of the day but we won the race, all got crew t-shirts and ID cards that grants us free access to the "crew" bar and quarters should we ever go back. It was the most invigorating experience ever but I still don't know how those suckers don't flip the heck over!

Reactions: webbie
Mistress if you and the husband are ever in Detroit let me know Ill try and get you on the water. If not a race a evening booze cruise.

BTW these are taken about 2miles from Downtown Detroit still withing the city limits, dont ever let anyone tell you Detroit isnt a beautiful city.
8921_143183265975_7635188_n.jpg

8921_143183330975_4121433_n.jpg

This is Downtown from the water
4877_98554930975_4782999_n.jpg

Here is a Melges 24 Regatta a couple of years ago on Lake St Clair, not quite a great lake but still 26 miles long and 24 miles wide
173_10349035975_3454_n.jpg

If you cant tell I love Detroit

Mistress if you and the husband are ever in Detroit let me know Ill try and get you on the water. If not a race a evening booze cruise.
If you cant tell I love Detroit

Hah! Don't tempt me! I come to Detroit quite a bit for work. I'm wearing my "Pawn Detroit" shirt as I type, I've been going there way before the TV show :)

When I come out I stay at the Greektown and take that stupid monorail down to the RenCen. I try to plan my trips around concerts (my company has box seats at The Palace) and other cool events, while trying to avoid Tiger games as the hotels near the RenCen sell out and I hate driving into the City from Troy or Madison Heights. I was REALLY trying to get a meeting organized this week to hit the Pig & Whiskey festival in Ferndale. I was there last year at this time and stumbled across it by accident. If you like BBQ and Whiskey, Bourbon or Scotch, be sure to go - it starts tomorrow! Just bring a friend who will drive your drunk and overloaded, full of pork body home. It's a good time! Have a Coney for me!

image.jpg

Detroit declared bankruptcy today. It's the largest municipal default on the books so far. Shame, it is a beautiful city. Thanks for the nice pics reminding us of this Augie.

Returned Late Last night from the Island, It is weeks like this remind me that life is great, and I and blessed with all that I have.
992936_10151488343150976_703986963_n.jpg

164258_10151488371015976_1511112784_n.jpg

OK previous two were from before the race, no pics from that race as we have great wind and were on the Island in 30hrs. We Averaged almost 7 kts, which is great because you never actually head exactly where you are trying to get to. So 7kts averages is actually prob closer to 8!

Here was my morning view from the Coal Docks on Mackinac Island where we were docked. I stayed on the boat the first two nights on the Island
999691_10151492010330976_1870954436_n.jpg

On Monday Afternoon there was a small garden Party at the Small Points B&B on the other side of the island. Great people and beautiful view from the porch
969360_10151495485515976_800070085_n.jpg

And the last night I stayed in the Grand Hotel.
546882_10151495486025976_501535442_n.jpg

The Mackinac Bridge, world's third-longest in total suspension, and the longest suspension bridge between anchorages in the Western hemisphere
555222_10151495486195976_2069128554_n.jpg

Freighters are always going through the Straits, the freighters on the Great lakes"lakers" are different that Ocean going freighters "salties" in a few ways owing to the difference in waves in the Great lakes vs the Ocean. In addition Because of their deeper draft and the lower buoyancy of fresh water, salties may accept partial loads on the Great Lakes, "topping off" upon exiting the Seaway.
996536_10151495486570976_1254818233_n.jpg

Pic of the Crew at the Lawn Party at the Grand following the Race, Bells Beer is our title sponsor, all the Bells you can drink, a great Band, burgers, incredible people and beautiful views. Skipper of our boat is a former commodore of Bayview Yacht Club(host club of the race) and knows Larry Bell pretty well. Enjoy having a beer with him and shooting the chit every year.
1069224_10151495492440976_428026072_n.jpg

Endless Summer Band
992938_10151495491045976_695735555_n.jpg

last Night on the Island
1003335_10151495492655976_645772084_n.jpg

The Mackinac Bridge is really something ... ever go over it in a snow storm with high winds? Glad the hubby was driving;lol

On the last trip east, kids made a point of having a swim in each of the Great Lakes. Also got a sail in with my big sis on Keuka Lake, NY:)

The Mackinac Bridge is really something ... ever go over it in a snow storm with high winds? Glad the hubby was driving;lol On the last trip east, kids made a point of having a swim in each of the Great Lakes. Also got a sail in with my big sis on Keuka Lake, NY:)
Snow Storm Dead of winter at night on the way to Mt Bohemia for some skiing. Love that bridge, just relax and don't take life too seriously :cool:

But I do understand how some people are anxious about it. at 50mph the bridge moves enough to feel and see it in the car as you cross.

When I rode my enduro across it last year I thought the front tire was going to go through at the expansion joints, that and riding it on the grates is very interesting.

Geez, too bad I just saw this thread. We were on the island last Wednesday, and saw a bunch of your kind of boats. Would've been happy to share a Two Hearted ;)

The Mackinac Bridge is really cool from the driver's seat of a truck. You're sitting high enough to see straight down through those grates, to the water below.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure this guy needs counseling, and some clean drawers.

22881202_BG1.jpg

Here are some pics I took of a little race in Newport a couple weeks back....so pretty seeing those boats coming in with the kites flying! Those Great Lakes races are famous - and dangerous! Didn't some crew buy the farm in recent years?

Famous, Dangerous... well no more than any other outdoor activity. It is all a Risk vs Gamble assessment.

Ill explain a little and then a analogy. First a definition or two. NOTE: these are my definitions

Taking a Risk, if you win you come out ahead, if you lose you are where you started no further behind

Making a Gamble, if you win you come out ahead, if you lose you are much further behind than where you started.

So I am a risk taker not a gambler. The point where a risk changes to a gamble is different for everyone and changes with experience/skill.

The analogy. When many of us here fell a tree we are taking a risk. But we all do things to mitigate the dangers and will usually not have anything bad happen. Take someone who has never felled a tree and ask them to take down a 40ft oak.... that is a gamble. They don't even know all of the dangers involved.

So yes sailing in an inherently dangerous sport, especially at in larger boats as the loads in 20kts wind can be tens of thousands of pounds of force. But after a one hundred thousand miles at sea I have a pretty good handle on the danger involved, but that doesn't mean I will ever take it lightly. Three years ago someone did die. They were making a gamble and the rules have been changed slightly in the races to account for new situations.

Overall it was a great experience and I am already looking forward to next year.

I know what you mean!

A friend of mine, in perfect shape (SWAT team. police chief, scuba team, etc.) was polishing a boat on a dock in MD and fell in - that was the end for him. On the other hand, I had a customer at the shop who crossed the Atlantic in 16 foot boats numerous times...

Unless you get at least a little scared, you haven't lived....IMHO.

Unless you get at least a little scared, you haven't lived....IMHO.

25ft Following seas in the Great Lakes (period is MUCH MUCH shorter than the ocean) and 70kts breeze gave me a bit of pucker. But then that is what I live for.

Status
Not open for further replies.