Any CAB50 owners with an OAK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saladdin

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2011
West Tennessee
Looking for owners of the cab50 (or the same line of ECO-ADV-PS50 ECO-ADV-PS35) that have installed an OAK. I'm starting my 3rd year with the cab50 and do not have an oak and am considering getting one. My house is sealed "average" tight. It is brick so little leary of knocking another hole in the brick to run another pipe out (it is exhausted straight out the wall already).

Anyone running this stove with an oak and have any opinions?

No negative effects.. I say OAK. On ALL my stoves, I went without the 1st year. Then with the following. Even the wood eater andFahrenheit pellet furnace I installed 2 seasons ago. The first season I used both without, them added the, for last year.

My Quad. 6 yrs ago, I installed the Classic bay without an OAK. Then the following year, I installed one. Every time I could tell the difference in heat, the ability to heat it easier, and heat farther areas of the house.

Reactions: saladdin
the only problem i have with the oak for my PS50 is the price of the kit.
probably one of the most expensive kits out there.
i believe it's because of the little collar piece you need to affix the hose. still seemed excessive imo.
many stoves have the collar built onto the stove already.
if you can fab one up yourself you could save a few bucks.
you also get pieces you don't even need. iirc those are for if you have an insert.

at $119 i just can't help but shake my head. though i've read the dealer asks much more
http://compare.ebay.com/like/151111427690?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
do shop around.
i know i ended up paying less than $100 w/ shipping. but i can't remember where.

good thread on this topic https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/outside-air-kit-for-quadra-fire-cb-1200-question.73329/

i'm happy i have one though. the breeze caused by the stove sucking air through the house itself to get combustion air was greatly reduced. plus of course you're not using room air you've already heated for combustion air that is just vented out the exhaust.

Last edited:
Reactions: saladdin
Little pricy because all you want to do is add an oak but if you don't want to make another hole you could just enlarge the current hole and use a concentric type venting system like Selkirk DT. Just a thought.

Little pricy because all you want to do is add an oak but if you don't want to make another hole you could just enlarge the current hole and use a concentric type venting system like Selkirk DT. Just a thought.

That option is new to me. I hate to ask you to do the work for me but do you have a link to the kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.