Any experience with the new Jotul Nordic outside air intake??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natinstl

Jan 3, 2008
WA
Previoulsy the Jotul Nordic did not come with an outside air intake system, but now it does. My husband is dead set on getting it, but the stove installer is trying to steer us away from it. Just wondering if anyone has installed it and if it really makes a difference.

Ask your dealer how they are selling the stove without it. It's a WA state requirement for new stoves I believe. Sounds like this is an uninspected installation.

We're using a very well known and reputable company so I don't think they are trying to pull one over on us. According to them only new homes have to have the outside air intake installed when the stove is put in. I think it's more that they don't want to break out the bricks to install it. They originally told us they were going to drill so we installed slate to the inside of our fireplace based upon that and know they would have to remove it all.

I just had my stove inspected this summer and it would have FAILED inspection if I had not plumbed the outside air supply per the stove manufacturer's directions. This is in Pierce County and I specifically asked the question. Oh, my stove replaced a Lopi in a house built in 1963. The shop was either ignorant about the requirement or they have experience with your particular inspector.

I had to pay extra for the HS outside air adapter. I agree with outside air in principle though and would rather have it than not.

Attachments

• stovehearth.jpg
    stovehearth.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 204
BTW,
Having looked at the Jotul today, It appears that only the air for the secondary burn comes from the outside air.
The air regulated by the damper on the front comes directly from the bottom front of the stove from the house.
IS THAT RIGHT?

Status
Not open for further replies.