Any Explanations For This Happening????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Yesterday I had a strong fire going - great secondary flames out of the air tubes and a stovetop temp. at 600-650*. Primary air shut down gradually to 1/4 open. Outside temp. was in the mid 30's. Wood seasoned - hard wood with moisture around 15% - in sun and wind for approx. one year. Chimney outside clear - no visible smoke - just shimmering heat.

Fire continued to burn undisturbed and hot when, an hour and a half into it, flames off the lower logs that had been feeding the secondaries went out so I lost all flame in the firebox. Stove top temp. was still in the 600's. Chimney began smoking like a smoke dragon - ie. not a clean burn at all.

My limited understanding is that once a high temp. with charred seasoned wood has been established things should remain 'stable' while the fire burns through it's cycle.

This happened in the middle of the day when house temp. was also in the 70's and the insert had had plenty of time to get warmed up too.

I worry about this because I live in an area with burning restrictions in the winter due to pollution...My chimney shouldn't be smoking. I also live next door to a man who works for the EPA. I don't want to smoke my neighbors out. I like, and get along, with them all.

I also want to be able to leave my house to run errands without worrying about what my chimney is doing while I am gone. :-S

Was this the first burn of the day, without a well established coal bed? Usually this is rare with good coals. Did a fan operated device like a clothes dryer or bathroom fan get turned on? Or maybe a punky log in the mix of good wood?

It will even happen with a good bed of coals. Sometimes the fire gets so slow there is no source of ignition for the mixture of gasses and hot air from the secondary burn tubes.

It can also happen when you fill the fire box and cover that nice coal bed.

Turbulence from draft is still needed to keep things going.

Now you know you just need to check after while to turn the air up, not turn it real low, or try loading the firebox different.

Takes some time to find that sweet spot.

BeGreen said:
Was this the first burn of the day, without a well established coal bed? Usually this is rare with good coals. Did a fan operated device like a clothes dryer or bathroom fan get turned on? Or maybe a punky log in the mix of good wood?

Had to go run some errands but am back and can respond. (Left air 1/2 open and all went well.)

No, it was the second load with hot coals. Thinking it may have been a punky log though. I assume a punky log is one that is very light without evidence of grain???
Once I read that I realized I have had a few of those pieces of wood in my batch this year and I have noticed that they don't ignite as I expected being so light weight. They do just kinda sit there.

As I am typing this I am watching the one I just put in unknowingly that it could be the culprit. I stuck it on the side and it is pretty much just sitting there - charred but not like the other pieces of wood....

We do have a bathroom fan that is turned on and off throughout the day depending on who is showering. Do they cause problems because they are drawing air out of the house that the fire needs to breathe? This unit is a lot bigger than my old one so maybe that fan does draw too much air out for this guy....never would of thought about that but it does make sense.

Clothes dryer is down stairs.

I am amazed at how much there is to learn about all of this. The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.... :coolsmile:

Just guessing perplexed, looking for a cause and effect relationship. You can experiment with fans and the dryer. It's quite possible that they will have no effect.

Was it windy? A downdraft can sometimes knock out the fire. A warm flue helps stop this, but I've still seen it happen.

Matt

perplexed said:
I am amazed at how much there is to learn about all of this. The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.... :coolsmile:

Well, I've been burning wood for many, many moons now. Grew up thinking that is the way everybody heats there homes. Same for cooking. I'll not forget the first time I saw someone cooking on a gas stove. Then, by golly, I saw an electric cook stove and figured it was magic for sure! Perhaps that gives you an idea of my age and how long I've been around this stuff. And with all that, I know practically nothing! So worry not, you'll do just fine.

Backwoods Savage said:
perplexed said:

And with all that, I know practically nothing! So worry not, you'll do just fine.

I, too, remember our wood burning stove that my mother cooked on and when it was replaced with a gas one.....In those days I didn't worry about smoke and my mother did the burning.....

I am slowly getting the idea that all is just fine and that I will continue to learn. It is nice not to have to burden myself with having to know everything. I can now find out most of what I want at the end of my fingertips - thanks to the internet.

I have decided that fire will do what it will do and my fighting it doesn't bother it - it only bothers me. I just need to learn from it.... ;-)

BeGreen said:
Just guessing perplexed, looking for a cause and effect relationship. You can experiment with fans and the dryer. It's quite possible that they will have no effect.

Once again I have found what I am looking for here.

Problem, it seems, is quite simple......Assumptions made by me. Ie. ' If my stove is burning at a given temp. it should 'always' behave the same and I shouldn't have to think any more about it' .....A good reminder that fire is a living, changing element.

Maybe, in a few more years, I will be able to thoroughly enjoy all of it's mysteries and not find any of them maddening. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.