Any idea what stove this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Molson

Jan 10, 2008
Midland, Ontario
Hey everyone, bought a new house (to me) in Nov, and it came with a disconnected woodstove. I've not seen one like this, and would like to use it after the proper inspections and servicing.

Anyone know what kind it is? There is no label on it.

normal_Woodstove%20004.jpg

normal_Woodstove%20001.jpg

Lets see some photos of the inside. Is that left side really bowed (back corner) as I see it in the photo? Or is it a camera optical illusion?

I'll get more pictures tonight, and post them tomorrow morning. (No internet at home, still trying to get used to it) There is a slight bow in that location. That is an outer shield, light steel. I can describe the inside for now.

large square, brick lined box. Baffle centre top which exits to the chimney.
The door opens downward, like an oven.
Air inlets are on the top (small circles)
Large removable circle (cooktop?)

Molson said:
I'll get more pictures tonight, and post them tomorrow morning. (No internet at home, still trying to get used to it) There is a slight bow in that location. That is an outer shield, light steel. I can describe the inside for now.

large square, brick lined box. Baffle centre top which exits to the chimney.
The door opens downward, like an oven.
Air inlets are on the top (small circles)
Large removable circle (cooktop?)

Clean & inspect the inside real good, any warpage would indicate its been over fired.
If its really white inside, not fly ash but the metal itself is real white, another indicator of overfiring. Check for cracks, cracked welds etc.
Does it have an actual secondary burn baffle in it? This is where photos will help.
Is that the combustion air control on the top of the door ( right looking at the door)?
The circle is indeed a cooktop. You remove it and put your pot etc there. Can prolly also cook right on top, and if clear to box through it, another way to load wood in possibly.

I was gonna say a pizza oven ;)

Hogwildz said:
Clean & inspect the inside real good, any warpage would indicate its been over fired.
If its really white inside, not fly ash but the metal itself is real white, another indicator of overfiring. Check for cracks, cracked welds etc.
Does it have an actual secondary burn baffle in it? This is where photos will help.
Is that the combustion air control on the top of the door ( right looking at the door)?
The circle is indeed a cooktop. You remove it and put your pot etc there. Can prolly also cook right on top, and if clear to box through it, another way to load wood in possibly.

Thanks, I will look at that tonight and take pictures. No secondary burn baffle, just a simple baffle to the outlet. There are two combustion air controls on the top of the unit, one still has the knob handle on it, the other doesn't. They are on either side of the cooktop.

Yes, the cooktop is clear through to the firebox.

Molson said:
Hogwildz said:

Thanks, I will look at that tonight and take pictures. No secondary burn baffle, just a simple baffle to the outlet. There are two combustion air controls on the top of the unit, one still has the knob handle on it, the other doesn't. They are on either side of the cooktop.

Yes, the cooktop is clear through to the firebox.

Its an older pre-epa stove. Can't help ya with make or model.
Your going to go through alot fo wood with that beast.
That top cover I am almost positive is to add wood through.

be advised if you decide to install that thing (assuming its servicable) the fact that it has no tag means that even if you find out what unit it is, it is still classified as "unlisted" which means that you must follow nfpa211 clearances for unlisted heaters, meaning 30 inch clearances to combustibles, and 18 inches in all directions of floor protection , i will have to look to see what the "r" factor needed for floor protection would be for unlisted models and will post later ( i dont have a copy of 211 at home) all this may be a moot point if your homeowners will not let you install an unlisted unit, you may want to check with them first if you cannot locate a tag.

I'd say new home, calls for a new Englander "more burn for your buck" new & EPA approved stove.

I would be real interested in knowing if any building inspector on the planet would let you install any chimney that close to the electrical boxes. No matter what stove you have.

As to the stove. It is a a "Charlie's Welding Shop - Corner of 3rd and Elm" special from the 70's. Safer more efficient stoves can be had all day long for three hundred bucks on craigslist.

BB - Who has burned every weird contraption you can think of in his basement. Including the 55 gallon barrel stove.

I think some parts of ONT. reqiure you to install an EPA stove only. There might be a reason that one wasn't hooked up.

If you need an EPA stove, HOME HARDWARE sells this one for $870

http://www.flame-intl.com/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=403&Page=spec

It is a fair-sized stove, and would look good down there, and has straight-in loading to boot.

Crappy Tire also sells a small EPA Century for ~ $600.

$1500 gets you a Summit, which will easily heat the whole house from the basement....:)
http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_summit.php

stoveguy2esw said:
be advised if you decide to install that thing (assuming its servicable) the fact that it has no tag means that even if you find out what unit it is, it is still classified as "unlisted" which means that you must follow nfpa211 clearances for unlisted heaters, meaning 30 inch clearances to combustibles, and 18 inches in all directions of floor protection , i will have to look to see what the "r" factor needed for floor protection would be for unlisted models and will post later ( i dont have a copy of 211 at home) all this may be a moot point if your homeowners will not let you install an unlisted unit, you may want to check with them first if you cannot locate a tag.

Clearances are not a problem, its raised on a concrete floor, in a concrete room, the closest clearance is the back to the concrete wall, approx 35 inches. I imagine I would have to install a shield for the panel and ceiling.

Thanks Jimbob, I will definatly look into those.

Here are the rest of the pictures as promised.

normal_Woodstove%20005.jpg

normal_Woodstove%20006.jpg

normal_Woodstove%20007.jpg

normal_Woodstove%20014.jpg

normal_Woodstove%20009.jpg

baffle
normal_Woodstove%20011.jpg

I have a quote on a Osburn 1600 and SS liner now.. Not too sure if I'll proceed yet. I've only been in the house 6 weeks, I'm sure the next nat gas bill will help my decision. :)

Great decision! I am sure you will save on the amount of wood you have to handle and enjoy your woodburning experience.

A quick google came up with this, Carmor Manufacturing Ltd. Ontario Canada. It brought me to a list of people who are still using these stoves and love them!

Yeah, I saw that Jimbob. My local sweep/installer advised me it would not be worth it to use this Carmor to heat the house, he said it is approx 40% efficient, 30 years old and pretty worn out.

I'm looking through the local ads now for a stove, as I can't afford a new one at this time, at least not the new ones I want ;) I am looking into the ones you linked me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.