Any ideas how to repair this...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stephan2017

Feb 15, 2017
Leigh-on-Sea UK
Hey there

I'm having trouble finding out how to repair this. Any ideas? I don't mind paying someone to do the job, if this would be sensible, but haven't been able to find anyone to help. Perhaps I'm not describing it properly (I know nothing about fireplaces!!). Is the damaged part knows as a fireback? And does it essentially need to be fully removed and replaced? If so, would this require the fireplace to be removed, which would I assume be a big job as tiles etc would need to come out?

Finally, is it safe to use the fire still until it can be repaired?

Any advice very gratefully received...

Stephan
IMG_-1954298306.jpg 20170215_163751.jpg 20170215_163755.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a real classic!

But it's crude, inefficient and undesirable as an actual heating appliance (even when in perfect condition). You have two sensible options:

1) Clean it up and keep it as a antique decoration.
2) Install a modern heating appliance. The European manufacturers make some incredible small burners for spaces like that.

Hi Woody thanks for your reply.

We don't really use it for heating, only an occasional fire as it looks so nice when lit and really makes it nice and cosy in here. It does provide a bit of heat although most goes straight out of the chimney. More importantly, my wife will kill me if I try to get rid of it as it is her favourite part of the whole house...which leaves me with only one option I suppose, i.e. to repair it!

That looks like a coal basket, most of it looks to be in good condition. That whole unit may be able to be removed, then you can see what's behind it. Maybe something can be fabricated out of steel plate and/or firebrick. Anything can be fixed, the question is cost and finding a fixer. Are they separate cast pieces?

The conundrum. Happy wife=happy. Um we get it;). Welcome to Hearth. Always interesting for us to view burning appliances/methods from afar. Not real sure what I am looking at but it appears to me that you have worn out stone/firebrick material that may just need replacing? Possibly one of our members from over your way will chime in with some guidance. Possibly edit your thread title with a "Hey UK burners. Help!".

I got real interested and researched antique coal and wood burners. It looks like part of the base was made out of ceramic. It seems to have a shine to it that regular mortar would not have. You may be able to use a furnace cement (example: https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...eplace-mortar-1-pint-gray/p-1444439436000.htm ) to repair the cracked part.
I would be very careful using that thing and keep an extinguisher handy in case some other part decided to break while you had a fire going.

My brother in law has one in his old house, back In the day they heated with coal. He's never used his, pretty cool, how old is your house?

we still see a few coal "inserts" like that around here most have been cut up some to burn wood but a few are still complete. I dont know of any that people still burn coal in though. The only way to fix that is pull it out salvage what ever you can and fill in the missing parts with clay. Then make a form of it and cast a new part out of refractory cement we have done it with a few parts mainly for old cook stoves.