Any info around about why pellet stoves use radial instead of axial room fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darkwing

Oct 11, 2018
New Jersey
Hello...

I try to get my stove as quiete as possible and already lined the cool inside metal parts with bytumen car silencer peel and stick matts...sucked up a real good amount of the ratteling and vibration noise so far.
But my room fan...lord that thing is loud...
Already played with abec 9 bearings but i am afraid it is the squirrel cage type of blower...
Can those be replaced with axial ones? Anyone seen such setup or did it?

Hello...

I try to get my stove as quiete as possible and already lined the cool inside metal parts with bytumen car silencer peel and stick matts...sucked up a real good amount of the ratteling and vibration noise so far.
But my room fan...lord that thing is loud...
Already played with abec 9 bearings but i am afraid it is the squirrel cage type of blower...
Can those be replaced with axial ones? Anyone seen such setup or did it?

Most woodstoves with blowers use squirrel cage fans but my BK uses a pair of axial fans. They still make a noise. I remember at least one other noncat woodstove, Lopi or Country, that used a very large axial fan at slow speed to try and move a lot of air quietly.

When I was trying to add on a blower to my current shop stove, I almost went with a 6" duct booster fan which uses an axial fan to move lots of air quietly. It would have been remote mounted since the fan wasn't heat rated. Instead, I found a high CFM squirrel cage fan.

Most furnaces use big squirrel cage fans too.

Reactions: Don2222
Hello and thx for the fast response.
Which motor/fan did u end up using? And did the high cfm made a difference in noise and or supplied air?
Right now i dissassembled mine and and tried to make it less noisy via new abec9 bearings.
But i dont lile these cheesy c motors that look lile someone missed half of the equipment.
Any good source or modification tip for the improvement? And how would your axial fan setup looked like? What kind of bloqer did u have in mind?

Amazon product ASIN B01C82SZRM
Here's a duct fan. 240 cfm, with a cord. You then need to adapt your stove to accept flow from a 6" duct. These things can be slowed down to be quieter with less flow.

Amazon product ASIN B00DY1SSU6
Here's the typical 160 cfm fireplace blower. I bolted a similar one to the back of my woodstove.

My goal was a big fan capable of too much flow that I slow down to get plenty of flow at a much lower sound level.

Biomass stoves use radial fans because of space constraints. I guess your acceptable and my acceptable noise level are 2 entirely different levels, All biomass appliance will make some noise because they are mechanical in nature. Me, I like hearing the noise. It lets me know the components are working properly.