Refurbished Harman P61A Odd Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AudiOOOOLady

Oct 20, 2022
Northern NH
Hello all! New here and new to pellet stoves. I have done an excessive amount of research from Facebook, YouTube, and on this forum. Have read and learned many things. I have a brand new P43 and “refurbished” P61A. The P61A has been giving me problems since we bought it a little over two weeks ago now from our local dealer (where we purchased the new P43 from a week prior). They said they took this P61A in on trade and refurbished it and went through it. Upon start up it was louder fan wise than the new P43. Then it started acting really weird.

Long story short, the bearing on the combustion fan was going and the control board was junk. Also, the hopper latch was worn out and not allowing the hopper lid to seal tight properly causing a two blink code. I have had all of that replaced and had them out here twice already, thankfully under warranty (comes with a 1yr warranty). I still have an issue though and can’t pinpoint if something just needs to be tightened up or what not instead of pestering them again. It has done this since day one, I was just hoping it would have been resolved within one of the visits they already made out here.

The stove will stove start up and run perfectly normal until, the room blower kicks into medium speed when the stove is ramped up and producing a good fire then, it starts making an odd vibrating noise which you can hear in this video-> (Video of noise) . When the stove starts to shut down because it has reached the required temp setting, the noise goes away. The room blower is still on medium speed.

I have done a full monthly cleaning on it just because after the issues I’ve had, I was curious if it was even cleaned. I have tried it on several blower speeds in both room temp mode and stove mode. It does it on both modes and only when the blower is on medium. When it is on high it doesn’t do it as much. Low speed and you don’t hear the vibration at all.

Now upon cleaning the backside of the stove, I took all back panels off. The fines box was plugged solid. Glad I looked in there and vacuumed that out! Everything was plugged up with dust including the room blower “mouse cage”. I vacuumed as much as I could. Currently this stove is in my basement and is going to be moved to my living room where my p43 is and swapped around. So until, we swap them, I can’t get the dust by the auger motor and cam as good as I would like. Very dusty up there! My stove is direct vented horizontally and then goes up with the T with a 12” and the horizontal cap on it. No OAK yet, will be done once stoves are swapped as made no sense to install on the one it doesn’t need to be installed on.
We also got down and with a welding glove on, tried to stop the noise by holding things around the area where it can be heard and it doesn’t stop it. I have read about the room blower (distribution blower) having a vibration issues but, this noise is a lot quieter in terms of that of which people experienced with that.

I am curious if anyone has experienced this and found an easy fix therefore, never posted it on here or anywhere else? If so, maybe I can be let in on the secret? If not, hopefully when I find the solution I can share in the event someone else ever experiences this.

Thank you in advance for any and all help and sorry for the ridiculous bible above!

Last edited:
Hello all! New here and new to pellet stoves. I have done an excessive amount of research from Facebook, YouTube, and on this forum. Have read and learned many things. I have a brand new P43 and “refurbished” P61A. The P61A has been giving me problems since we bought it a little over two weeks ago now from our local dealer (where we purchased the new P43 from a week prior). They said they took this P61A in on trade and refurbished it and went through it. Upon start up it was louder fan wise than the new P43. Then it started acting really weird.

Long story short, the bearing on the combustion fan was going and the control board was junk. Also, the hopper latch was worn out and not allowing the hopper lid to seal tight properly causing a two blink code. I have had all of that replaced and had them out here twice already, thankfully under warranty (comes with a 1yr warranty). I still have an issue though and can’t pinpoint if something just needs to be tightened up or what not instead of pestering them again. It has done this since day one, I was just hoping it would have been resolved within one of the visits they already made out here.

The stove will stove start up and run perfectly normal until, the room blower kicks into medium speed when the stove is ramped up and producing a good fire then, it starts making an odd vibrating noise which you can hear in this video-> (Video of noise) . When the stove starts to shut down because it has reached the required temp setting, the noise goes away. The room blower is still on medium speed.

I have done a full monthly cleaning on it just because after the issues I’ve had, I was curious if it was even cleaned. I have tried it on several blower speeds in both room temp mode and stove mode. It does it on both modes and only when the blower is on medium. When it is on high it doesn’t do it as much. Low speed and you don’t hear the vibration at all.

Now upon cleaning the backside of the stove, I took all back panels off. The fines box was plugged solid. Glad I looked in there and vacuumed that out! Everything was plugged up with dust including the room blower “mouse cage”. I vacuumed as much as I could. Currently this stove is in my basement and is going to be moved to my living room where my p43 is and swapped around. So until, we swap them, I can’t get the dust by the auger motor and cam as good as I would like. Very dusty up there! My stove is direct vented horizontally and then goes up with the T with a 12” and the horizontal cap on it. No OAK yet, will be done once stoves are swapped as made no sense to install on the one it doesn’t need to be installed on.
We also got down and with a welding glove on, tried to stop the noise by holding things around the area where it can be heard and it doesn’t stop it. I have read about the room blower (distribution blower) having a vibration issues but, this noise is a lot quieter in terms of that of which people experienced with that.

I am curious if anyone has experienced this and found an easy fix therefore, never posted it on here or anywhere else? If so, maybe I can be let in on the secret? If not, hopefully when I find the solution I can share in the event someone else ever experiences this.

Thank you in advance for any and all help and sorry for the ridiculous bible above!
Thought I would update with the resolve. Going back to the fact the stove wasn’t gone through, the distribution blower needed to be taken off and thoroughly vacuumed out. Noise is 100% gone! 😁 I hope this helps someone else.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Glad you got it figured out. I vacuum out the distribution fan nearly every time I clean my P43. I have several cats and my two birds reside in the living room fairly close to the stove - so it is likely to suck in cat hair, down feathers and dander sucked in there (plus the dust from pouring in pellets, the occasional seed shell etc.).

I rarely vacuum the distribution fan for the P61a. It is in the basement and none of my pets stay down there too long os not as much crud tends to get sucked in.

Reactions: AudiOOOOLady
Glad you got it figured out. I vacuum out the distribution fan nearly every time I clean my P43. I have several cats and my two birds reside in the living room fairly close to the stove - so it is likely to suck in cat hair, down feathers and dander sucked in there (plus the dust from pouring in pellets, the occasional seed shell etc.).

I rarely vacuum the distribution fan for the P61a. It is in the basement and none of my pets stay down there too long os not as much crud tends to get sucked in.
Me too! Let’s just say the pot stove will never that much dust and build up ever again.

I’m pretty thorough and clean my stoves very well. It’s frustrating to have had to deal with all that I did being the stove was supposed to have been gone through by the dealer. Someone was lazy I would assume. We swapped the stoves around yesterday allowing me to fully access the back mechanics. That was disgusting! I cleaned with a paintbrush and vacuumed behind there super well. Looks like a new stove now! But, even the cam for the auger was packed with dust. At least it is in good care now. And it’s quiet as the new p43 now. Thankfully. 😁

I agree with you 100% and encourage everyone to thoroughly go through a stove refurbished or used, when purchasing.

Reactions: bogieb
I have pulled the Dist blowers loose leaving wiring connected and taken the 3 small screws out of the ring around the fan and used a 1/8" allen wrench and pulled squirrel cage out and washed them out in the homeowners sink using the dish sprayer when they are packed. It takes a few minutes but gets the fan back to 100% clean. Sounds like the only "going thru " that stove got was thru the front the front door and straight out the back:)

Reactions: SciGuy
I have pulled the Dist blowers loose leaving wiring connected and taken the 3 small screws out of the ring around the fan and used a 1/8" allen wrench and pulled squirrel cage out and washed them out in the homeowners sink using the dish sprayer when they are packed. It takes a few minutes but gets the fan back to 100% clean. Sounds like the only "going thru " that stove got was thru the front the front door and straight out the back:)
You aren’t kidding! 😜 Thank goodness it’s been running happily ever since!

Reactions: rickwai
X2 of what Rick said.

Pulling the blower wheel is the only way to get it really clean. You can wipe down the inside of the blower assembly with the wheel out too. It's amazing how much guck can be on that wheel and have it still look quite clean from a casual inspection from the outside. Just vacuuming the blower occasionally will certainly help but you're kidding yourself if you think it does a great job. If you don't know the history of the stove you may find enough cat or dog hair in there to knit a child's sweater;)

YMMV

Hugh

Reactions: bogieb and rickwai