Any info would be really helpful

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo

Oct 22, 2015
Nh
image.jpg image.jpg
Hi I'm really hoping someone can help me out here. I recently bought a house and the stove pipe to the wood-burning stove was installed upside down the mail end was facing towards the roof. I removed the stove pipe from the fireplace to the chimney, and realized that the 8 inch stovepipe coming from my fireplace went down to a 6 inch stovepipe going through the roof. i've been told that is against code can anyone confirm or deny that. The photos above are of the chimney because I found that the stovepipe was against code I'm concerned the chimney going through the roof may not be up to code. it's a 6 inch double wall pipe running through a 10 inch singlewall pipe . A lot of the chimneys I've seen with cathedral ceilings will have a box insert going into the ceiling is that necessary does this look all right/up to code . I'm planning on buying a new stove with a 6 inch outlet and running 6 inch pipe all the way up, is that my best bet? Any help would really be appreciated thanks

Using 6" double-wall pipe was perhaps the only correct thing that was done here.

What type pipe is it? Metalbest DSP pipe has an inner and an outer crimp. The outer crimp (male end) does point up toward the chimney. The inner male end crimp points toward the stove.
Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 12.00.54 PM.png

View attachment 164801 View attachment 164802
Hi I'm really hoping someone can help me out here. I recently bought a house and the stove pipe to the wood-burning stove was installed upside down the mail end was facing towards the roof. I removed the stove pipe from the fireplace to the chimney, and realized that the 8 inch stovepipe coming from my fireplace went down to a 6 inch stovepipe going through the roof. i've been told that is against code can anyone confirm or deny that. The photos above are of the chimney because I found that the stovepipe was against code I'm concerned the chimney going through the roof may not be up to code. it's a 6 inch double wall pipe running through a 10 inch singlewall pipe . A lot of the chimneys I've seen with cathedral ceilings will have a box insert going into the ceiling is that necessary does this look all right/up to code . I'm planning on buying a new stove with a 6 inch outlet and running 6 inch pipe all the way up, is that my best bet? Any help would really be appreciated thanks

The piece at your ceiling looks pretty much like mine, which was professionally installed. My roof is just 2x6 pine boards, covered with 2" foam insulation panels, covered with a metal roof, so there's no space or attic of any kind. Not sure what the piece at my ceiling is called, but it allows the 6" single-wall pipe to telescope up about 6" to disconnect from the stove.

DSCF3577 (750x1000).jpg

I'image.jpg image.jpg

Begreen I'm not sure what brand it is. Is it possible this is a triple wall pipe, the spacer you see in the photo is spaced evenly all the way up the pipe. If it is a triple wall pipe is this the right application. Thanks. Dan does yours look anything like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
bhollers seen a whole lot more installations than I ever have. Maybe he recognizes this setup. I don't unless it used to be for an old fireplace with a ZC air cooled chimney. If that is the case the best fix would be to replace the flashing and install a proper cathedral ceiling support box and a good 6" class A chimney.

What does the double-wall stove pipe look like? Is there an outer crimp on one end and an inner crimp on the other?

bhollers seen a whole lot more installations than I ever have. Maybe he recognizes this setup. I don't unless it used to be for an old fireplace with a ZC air cooled chimney. If that is the case the best fix would be to replace the flashing and install a proper cathedral ceiling support box and a good 6" class A chimney.
I don't recognize it but i would not recommend using it for a wood stove. I cant be sure but i doubt it is rated for the required temps. I would swap it out for a good class a chimney. It really does look like double wall that would be used for a zc unit.

What is the double-wall stove pipe look like? Is there an outer crimp on one end and an inner crimp on the other?
There seems to be an inner crimp on the bottom, and I can't see the bottom. I believe the male end you see in the photo is a snaplock pipe connector connecting to the inner double wall pipe. It was hooked up to a fisher grandma wood stove

There seems to be an inner crimp on the bottom, and I can't see the bottom. I believe the male end you see in the photo is a snaplock pipe connector connecting to the inner double wall pipe. It was hooked up to a fisher grandma wood stove
*cant see the top

*cant see the top
I'm asking about the 8" double-wall stove pipe you removed that had the male end on top.

I recently bought a house and the stove pipe to the wood-burning stove was installed upside down the mail end was facing towards the roof. I removed the stove pipe from the fireplace to the chimney, and realized that the 8 inch stovepipe coming from my fireplace went down to a 6 inch stovepipe going through the roof.

I'm asking about the 8" double-wall stove pipe you removed that had the male end on top.
Oh sorry begreen, the stovepipe I removed was a single wall bm snaplock stovepipe it had a male end on one side, which was pointing up.

OK, a run that long should be double-wall stove pipe, (not chimney pipe).

I'View attachment 164829 View attachment 164830

Begreen I'm not sure what brand it is. Is it possible this is a triple wall pipe, the spacer you see in the photo is spaced evenly all the way up the pipe. If it is a triple wall pipe is this the right application. Thanks. Dan does yours look anything like that?

This is the best photo I have of the piping as it goes through the ceiling. It is Metalbestos brand. Doesn't look the same as yours.
P1020396 (562x1000).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.