Any issue with letting stove run out of pellets on purpose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bas157

Oct 1, 2012
Near Limerick, PA
Is there any issue with letting my stove, Harman P68, run out of pellets on purpose?
Like say I'm going away for the night and I know I won't be back before it runs out of pellets, is there anything wrong with having it running when I leave and letting it run out of pellets?

Figuring if I load up the hopper, put it in room temp on a low temperature, that'll at least be better then running the oil boiler (at least until it runs out of pellets), just wasn't sure if there is any thing wrong with letting it run out of pellets? I know the stove would then be powered on until I get home but it the blower would eventually stop running, wouldn't it?

Thanks
Bruce

Your stove should shut down when it is empty and it has fully cooled off. It may take a while for it to cool down.

A long time:) 4 plus hours

Pop some popcorn. Have a beer. Sit back and admire your stove while you wait for it to shut itself down:)

Thats why after the fire is out most unplug. No problem if you have some natural draft and there is a smoldering pellet or two.

I agree BUT...

My older P38 with its old style board will run the convection fan indefinitely after running the hopper dry. Done it since day 1. Shutting it down manually, it cools down and the convection motor turns off.

Were talking a P68 here but just saying. It might be an older unit with a similar board, though I think they always had the 3 knob setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.