Any last minute advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudyjr

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
Central Ohio
Well the Flex King ss liner is on the way, and my HVAC friend is coming this Saturday to help with the liner install and blocking plate. The c450 won't be delivered until next week but we are planning on getting the liner installed before it arrives. I have helped my friend install flexible furnace liners and this seems pretty straight forward, but any tips would be appreciated. I figured we would leave the liner a little long in the fireplace and trim it when the insert arrives. Would it help to push up the pipe through the block off plate so that once the appliance connector is installed you have some slack to make your connection to the stove? Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes, and keep your powder dry.

%-P

Seriously..... good luck ! :)

Have you figured out exactly where the flue for the insert is going to end up?
If it's not gonna line up directly below the damper, you may need a 30* or 45*
adapter instead of the straight connector that comes with the liner kit.
I believe the C450 kinda "floats" in the existing fireplace...ie it's got some adjustment
in/out, so you may not have an issue...
You've got the premise down, tho...don't cut the liner til you've made the final connection to the insert.
Cut any excess from above the top of the chimney plate with a hacksaw...
HTH

I don't think it is going to take an el from the dimensional drawings and measurements I have but we'll see. That's what I figured take the extra off the top side after the connection to the insert. What is suitable material to make the block off plate from? I am also planning on putting about 4 inches of rock wool on top of the plate and furnace cement around the pipe at the plate.

If you have to choose between cutting twice and having it still too short, or leaving some extra and measuring twice, cutting once.... measure twice and cut once.

The end that comes down into the hearth area needs to be a little long, as opposed to a little short, for obvious reasons... Especially if you're "finishing" the liner installation before the insert arrives.

I did the same as your doing and went with the Flex King Pro liner.

I left a good length of liner out the top of the chimney and pushed the liner up high enough to slide the insert in, line things up and then let it down into the stove collar once I was sure I had everything lined up. Despite all my measuring I still ended up having to trim the collar on my damper block plate to allow the liner to bend enough to meet the collar at a good angle. I was lucky that the Clydesdale collar is adjustable and on a 30deg angle off the stove top, otherwise I would have had to either redo the collar on the block off plate or use an adapter. Turns out I was able to do a direct shot to get the best draft as my Chimney is on the short side approx16Ft.. Once the liner was in and selaed with high heat goop I cut the top to desired height and sealed the top plate as well. Hope it helps in your install. And please post some pics of your install, Would love to see them

A few pics for clarity sake..

Attachments

• DSCF9406.JPG
    DSCF9406.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 220
  • Fireplace 034.jpg
    Fireplace 034.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Fireplace 035.jpg
    Fireplace 035.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 243
Never planned to try to finish the liner before the stove arrived. But I feel I can pretty effectively tell where the liner will fall in relation to the front of the firebox. And whether it will work according to the dimensional drawings.If it needs to be moved more than the liner will flex or it comes in at too much of an angle I plan to order a 30 degree el. Biggest thing I am trying to come up with is suitable material to build the block off plate from. Went to the metal dealer we buy from and they had 18 gauge stainless 304 and up, too heavy to try to work by hand. I figured I might be able to use 24 gauge galvanized pan material, very readily available. I am a welder and a little uncomfortable about galvanized even though I don't believe it will ever get hot enough to be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.