Any Lopi recommendations, the Quad 5700 is going back to the dealer.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

After again waiting for the right parts for my Quadra-Fire 5700, the factory sent two right hand leg brackets, leaves me dead in the water. At this point the stoves is going back. A total of three different things were wrong with this new stove. Dealer said they will come and pick up the stove and offerd me a Lopi product, Liberty model , for an even exchange. They'll deliver the other stove. They told me they've had nothing but problems with Quadra-Fire this year. They went to do an install only to open the crate up and find the factory put the wrong stove in the wrong box,LOL! Any suggestions on any Lopi models. I like the look of the Leyden. I'm heating a well insulated 2300 sq ft. farmhouse. I also called Woodstock today, but we're up in the air on the Fireview heating 2300sq.ft. I wish the new stove was in production. So I need to start heating with something. I could also just get my money back. What a PITA :mad:

The Leyden is sharp, but it's a "down draft" type reburn stove, and these types have been historically fussier to run that the "burn tube" type reburn stoves. The Liberty is a fantastic stove, but do bear in mind it's an east/west loader, and unless you have 14" or 15" splits, you won't be doing any north/south loading in it. The Endeavor, which I have, will take an 18" split n/s or e/w, but it has a much smaller fire box. I wouldn't try to heat over 1,800 sq. ft. with an Endeavor. If you don't mind e/w loading, you can feel safe that the Liberty is a great product. I've personally used my grandmother's, so I can vouch for the product.

The liberty can lay out some heat! plus with the by-pass for loading, no smoke and faster flue warm ups. plus it uses a fully brick lined firebox, even above the burn tubes. all parts inside are common, enen the braces for the baffle bricks are easy to make if needed. be aware that the door opens the "wrong" way. but that worked for me cause my wood storage is on the left of the stove.. abused stoves can develop cracks in the burn tube box in the rear corners, but its any easy fix with a welder. warranty on the lopi products is really good. some people have had the roll pins fall out of the burn tubes, but that is usually from running to hot from what I've heard. I removed my roll pins and replaced with set bolts for about 5 dollars and 20 mins work. my upstairs liberty has been ran really hot on a couple instances I know of, and probably a few I dont. That happens with really dry pine and lazy people that dont shut air control down. upstairs stove has about 15 cords through it by me, and stove was on display as a burner for 3 years at a local stove shop. I would by another in an instant. only real draw back is lopi will not allow internet sales of stoves or parts, so if your local dealer disapears then what do you do? hope this helps some with your choice.

Pagey said:
The Leyden is sharp, but it's a "down draft" type reburn stove, and these types have been historically fussier to run that the "burn tube" type reburn stoves. The Liberty is a fantastic stove, but do bear in mind it's an east/west loader, and unless you have 14" or 15" splits, you won't be doing any north/south loading in it. The Endeavor, which I have, will take an 18" split n/s or e/w, but it has a much smaller fire box. I wouldn't try to heat over 1,800 sq. ft. with an Endeavor. If you don't mind e/w loading, you can feel safe that the Liberty is a great product. I've personally used my grandmother's, so I can vouch for the product.
I read some reports the people hated the Liberty model. One person saying , parts kept breaking, another couldn't get any heat from the stove, green wood maybe? Another person only got 7 hour burns with a full box, again a moisture issue with the wood? I just don't want to make another bad choice. I like the looks of the Leyden.

Pineburner said:
The liberty can lay out some heat! plus with the by-pass for loading, no smoke and faster flue warm ups. plus it uses a fully brick lined firebox, even above the burn tubes. all parts inside are common, enen the braces for the baffle bricks are easy to make if needed. be aware that the door opens the "wrong" way. but that worked for me cause my wood storage is on the left of the stove.. abused stoves can develop cracks in the burn tube box in the rear corners, but its any easy fix with a welder. warranty on the lopi products is really good. some people have had the roll pins fall out of the burn tubes, but that is usually from running to hot from what I've heard. I removed my roll pins and replaced with set bolts for about 5 dollars and 20 mins work. my upstairs liberty has been ran really hot on a couple instances I know of, and probably a few I dont. That happens with really dry pine and lazy people that dont shut air control down. upstairs stove has about 15 cords through it by me, and stove was on display as a burner for 3 years at a local stove shop. I would by another in an instant. only real draw back is lopi will not allow internet sales of stoves or parts, so if your local dealer disapears then what do you do? hope this helps some with your choice.
I'm going to go look at some different models. Thanks for the feedback.

Do your research on the Leyden. It will do the job, but there is a bit of a learning curve to get good, long, clean burns with this type of stove. Dry wood and good draft are important. The main drawbacks are the need to babysit the fire until the coal bed is deep enough to shut the bypass, and that the refractory package in the back of the stove is fragile and may need cleaning/replacing after several years. But there are good reports of the company taking care of problems.

I think they offered the liberty due to the fact that it is most comparable to the stove you bought in the first place. why not get your money back, by a nc-30, and run it till woodstck has the one you want? then you could sell the nc-30. although you'll probably find that the nc-30 works perfectly fine, and not want to replace it.

I can't speak for those who had problems with the Liberty, but having laid hands on and used both an Endeavor and a Liberty I can't find major faults with either stove. I would, however, recommend the blower for either. They are fully jacketed convection stoves, which allows for very tight clearances, but you lose a lot of the radiant heat due to the side/rear heat shields.

But, again, from a quality stand point I cannot find any glaring issues with the Liberty or the Endeavor. Can you personally inspect one at a dealer?

Pagey said:
I can't speak for those who had problems with the Liberty, but having laid hands on and used both an Endeavor and a Liberty I can't find major faults with either stove. I would, however, recommend the blower for either. They are fully jacketed convection stoves, which allows for very tight clearances, but you lose a lot of the radiant heat due to the side/rear heat shields.

But, again, from a quality stand point I cannot find any glaring issues with the Liberty or the Endeavor. Can you personally inspect one at a dealer?
Yes I can inspect one. I really like the Leyden model too, but wonder about the combuster working well. They say once a year to clean out the combuster , but is that reality or is it a monthly chore? I see the Leyden and Lopi Liberty are both listed in the 73-74,000 BTU range, the Liberty having a .8 bigger fire box. Just don't want to undersize on a stove. I'm almost thinking I can get away with he Leyden, which states 2000 sq ft and I'm looking to heat 2300 sq ft. Two bedrooms up stairs and bath aren't even used so closing the doors a bit might save me alot of wasted heat, yet I would leave the bathroomopen enough as to not freeze any pipes. Decisions, decisions.

Well, both are non-cat stoves that reburn the volatile gases. However, the Liberty uses the more traditional "burn tube" design where secondary combustion air is introduced at the top of the firebox. The Leyden is a "down draft" type stove that uses some fancy physics to pass the gases down and across the hot coal bed. From what I have read, this design is much "fussier" and results in that part of the stove being subjected to very high heat, causing the refractory package to break down over time. Of course all stoves eventually require SOME type of maintenance inside, be it a new catalyst, fire brick, burn tubes, baffle material, baffle supports, etc.

The Leyden is definitely a more handsome stove. But I would feel remiss if I didn't at least mention that is the fussier of the two.

Pagey said:
Well, both are non-cat stoves that reburn the volatile gases. However, the Liberty uses the more traditional "burn tube" design where secondary combustion air is introduced at the top of the firebox. The Leyden is a "down draft" type stove that uses some fancy physics to pass the gases down and across the hot coal bed. From what I have read, this design is much "fussier" and results in that part of the stove being subjected to very high heat, causing the refractory package to break down over time. Of course all stoves eventually require SOME type of maintenance inside, be it a new catalyst, fire brick, burn tubes, baffle material, baffle supports, etc.

The Leyden is definitely a more handsome stove. But I would feel remiss if I didn't at least mention that is the fussier of the two.
I'm thinking maybe I should just go with the liberty, kinda of reminds me of the Country stove I had years ago. A pleasure to burn, no problems.

Pineburner said:
I think they offered the liberty due to the fact that it is most comparable to the stove you bought in the first place. why not get your money back, by a nc-30, and run it till woodstck has the one you want? then you could sell the nc-30. although you'll probably find that the nc-30 works perfectly fine, and not want to replace it.
I'm thinking things over :)

The 30 may be the way to go. You'd get a firebox bigger than the Liberty's and you'd get N/S loading. I would think the fire brick baffle in the Liberty would be more durable and the bypass damper is a hella handy feature, but from what I've read on here there's not a thing wrong with the NC30.

Pagey said:
The 30 may be the way to go. You'd get a firebox bigger than the Liberty's and you'd get N/S loading. I would think the fire brick baffle in the Liberty would be more durable and the bypass damper is a hella handy feature, but from what I've read on here there's not a thing wrong with the NC30.
I'll keep it in mind.

Not to mention the price difference could leave you with about a grand in your pocket. what could you do with a spare grand? besides blow it at baily's online!!

xclimber said:
I really like the Leyden model too, but wonder about the combuster working well. They say once a year to clean out the combuster , but is that reality or is it a monthly chore?

I expect a lot of people don't clean it at all, but a quick vacuum a few times a season will keep ash from building up to the point where it has to be removed for cleaning. (Removal may still be needed after several years, though.) It is not so much a chore as something to remember to do, and to do with a bit of care so as not to damage the refractory.

It's too bad about the Quad. I am partial to the Isle Royale, which is a pretty cast iron top-loader that has the more standard burn tubes. I doubt you want to give Quadrafire any business at this point, but if the dealer had a new one on hand, it would likely do the job. It has many fans on this forum.

Pineburner said:
Not to mention the price difference could leave you with about a grand in your pocket. what could you do with a spare grand? besides blow it at baily's online!!
New climbing saddle, ropes, biners, loop runners,hummmmmmmm :snake:

branchburner said:
xclimber said:
I really like the Leyden model too, but wonder about the combuster working well. They say once a year to clean out the combuster , but is that reality or is it a monthly chore?

I expect a lot of people don't clean it at all, but a quick vacuum a few times a season will keep ash from building up to the point where it has to be removed for cleaning. (Removal may still be needed after several years, though.) It is not so much a chore as something to remember to do, and to do with a bit of care so as not to damage the refractory.

It's too bad about the Quad. I am partial to the Isle Royale, which is a pretty cast iron top-loader that has the more standard burn tubes. I doubt you want to give Quadrafire any business at this point, but if the dealer had a new one on hand, it would likely do the job. It has many fans on this forum.
Well aftre what my dealer told me, I think I'm going to stay away from Quad. Sounds like they are a disorganized mess at the factory lately. They just had to get me two leg brackets, angle iron, one cut out about 8 inches and the other a solid piece. Tey send me two solid pieces, even if they sent to left side cut out pieces, I could have used those. It's showed me there was a promising voice that seem to care on the phone, but that was where the personal services ended. I now realize after talking to Jamie at Woodstock, that they're the kind of people I would love to do business with. I care and they care about the quality of their work and customer support. I would feel good spending my money with them. But Quad had three chances to give me a working brand new stove and it still sits a month and a half later in the middle of my living room floor, idle. Never again.

PapaDave said:
Just noticed, you still have the Quad in your sig., perhaps there should be a new stove name in there?! Starts with a W? Or an E?
Yes, the minds starting to go, I guess :lol: Thanks for reminding me.

The Liberty is a bear of a heater and I haven't seen anybody here that didn't love the stove. Sucker is built like a tank. My only hesitation to owning one was not being able to load 16-18" splits N/S. I am just stuck in my ways and only burn N/S anymore so I am a square firebox kinda guy.

BrotherBart said:
The Liberty is a bear of a heater and I haven't seen anybody here that didn't love the stove. Sucker is built like a tank. My only hesitation to owning one was not being able to load 16-18" splits N/S. I am just stuck in my ways and only burn N/S anymore so I am a square firebox kinda guy.
That's why I liked the Quad, could have loaded 20" pieces N/S. Incorrect parts, means no stove. The more I think about it, how pathetic someone couldn't just box up two of the correct leg brackets. Does Quadra-Fire have a Bar? :snake:

xclimber said:
BrotherBart said:
That's why I liked the Quad, could have loaded 20" pieces N/S. Incorrect parts, means no stove. The more I think about it, how pathetic someone couldn't just box up two of the correct leg brackets. Does Quadra-Fire have a Bar? :snake:

If it is still in the living room, try laying twenty inch splits flat in it with that slope in the front of the thing.

BrotherBart said:
xclimber said:
BrotherBart said:

If it is still in the living room, try laying twenty inch splits flat in it with that slope in the front of the thing.
Measuring inside N/S a 21 inch piece will lay flat, anything over that will be up on the hump in the stove, which would allow a 24 inch piece to the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.