Any Maple Syrup Producers out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
I am collecting now and will burn my 1st 60 gallons tomr. and approx another 100 gallons on Sat.

I am a novice backyard collector with about 22 taps on 15 trees.

I use a professional DH Grimm stove from Rutland VT.

I am collecting in Fairfield Cty Conn.

G -

When I lived in N Michigan I had about 15-20 trees tapped, and boiled in an old Woodsman stove with the top cut off. I used a topless modified stainless steel beer keg for a boiler. Man, that was the best syrup!

Yes, it's almost time here in MN. Got my dad into this as a hobby a few year back, only do 15-20 taps. Enough for something like 1 bottle of syrup.! Our first year we did it on wood, still talk about it. Lots of work. We now use the evil propane, but it gets the job done easier even tho we miss the smokey flavor. My dad is in his mid 70's, get's him out doing something, and there is nothing like true maple syrup. Fun, we have family day when cooking down, bonfire, food, etc. It brings on spring here, something I'm looking forward to with the exception of the giant pumpkin patch. I'm shooting for a 1000lbr this year, we'll see, was doing the same last year and only had a 300lbr. Think big, have lots of hobbies, and then wonder where your time goes. Go figure.

did our summer vacation in Swanton 2 years ago. brought back two gallons of the delightful stuff from my wife's cousin's farm. Paid for it since that is one of the things the do for money....although I'm pretty sure they cut us a deal. Just used up the last bit of it this winter. GOOOOD stuff.

Been around maple syrup producers my whole life both in the ADK's of NY and NW Vermont (Fairfield). We run a 200-400 tree production here in the Adk's..been a slow year so for with this cold spell but is starting to pick up now..Use a Leader Evaporator from St. Albans VT

We're sapping now here in MN, started last weekend. Using propane, a small bottle of syrup should be worth around $300.....

haha..we tapped the end of Feb but the sap jsut started to flow a week ago..really flowing today

Wish I was your neighbor. I really miss getting maple syrup from local farms in CT. I used to pick up the stuff that was so dark and strong that most people didn't want it. Called it grade C syrup. I loved it's rich flavor. Out here I have to buy Canadian grade A dark from Costco.

that sucks! weird year for us.. we started making dark amber or Grade B and then it turned overnight to Grade A fancy..never happened like that before..

Status
Not open for further replies.