Any Mt Vernon Classic Exhaust Motor Removal Instructions, Videos, Tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cparts

Aug 7, 2017
Southwest Virginia
Hello,

I am in the process of troubleshooting a smoke problem on my Mt. Vernon 2006 non-AE stove. I am opening this thread as to not confuse things.

I have some smoke coming in from the area of the Exhaust Blower. So I't trying to get in there to see if I can locate the leak.

Does anybody know if any instructions or videos about how to do this.

Or can you help me with the following sticking points?

1. I'm thinking that the blower motor comes out from the left SIDE of the stove (facing it). I am stuck on trying to get the control box out. Does it slide out or what. I think the bracket bolts from inside the hopper, but it seems like it should slide from the housing somehow.

2. There is also small black plate bolted to the othe rplat that goes up and two the right side of the stove. I think that should slide out after I get the control box out? Is that correct.

3. Also Will I have to pull the housing from the stove pipe connection or can the pipe stay hooked to the stove adapter?

I think the gaskets maker that was sealing that old motor housing (see the side view of this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GPNIAS/?tag=hearthamazon-20) is leaking. I can feel it moving back and forth with my hand (the small gasket rope that is around it). There is something leaking back there and I think its realted to this or some other connection on the way tot he stovepipe.

If the proper way to access this part is not through the left side, please let me know.

Or if you have a video, repair manual, or instructions that would be great.

Attachments

• 9nmzFd6KSduGW%t8+nGeWg.jpg
    9nmzFd6KSduGW%t8+nGeWg.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IIo0XnudQ6+Qck%sVihDFQ.jpg
    IIo0XnudQ6+Qck%sVihDFQ.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 150
UPDATE: Calling anyone who has pulled the exhaust motor on a classic mt vernon.

If I can figure out how to get this plate out, I think I can fix the stove.

Im fairly confident that the problem is that the housing from this motor is leaking. There is some weird caulking that is almost like a bike tire intertube around the clamshell.

I think the only way to fix it is to pull the housing and seal it up with fresh caulk and some foil tape.

See the picture below. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get this plate out from the right side. Where it is, I can't get to the top two bolts of the motor housing without pulling it. It may be required to pull the auger motor, but I'm not sure if that is going to solve the problem.

Please let me know if you have worked on a Quad Mt Vernon Classic and can help.

Attachments

• YIHTEymXSuySA8r5o+efcA.jpg
    YIHTEymXSuySA8r5o+efcA.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 170
If you are using this thread in the future, the rear (grid) of the stove can drop out from the back slightly (even with the exhaust pipe hooked up). If you disconnect the stove pipe you may be able to drop it all the way down. If not, you can work the plate out the left rear (facing the stove). I was then able to remove the exhaust blower motor housing.