Any new stoves with no glass, and non-catalytic that qualify for tax credits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TonyBologna

Nov 3, 2023
Kalkaska, Mi
Are there any new stoves that don’t have a glass front? I’m looking for something small (1350 sq ft modular home).
Simple would be awesome - so non-catalytic.
I heat with propane - but want to be ready for WHATEVER
Tax credit qualifying would be optimal - but not necessary.
I currently have no wood stove or fireplace.

Are there any new stoves that don’t have a glass front? I’m looking for something small (1350 sq ft modular home).
Simple would be awesome - so non-catalytic.
I heat with propane - but want to be ready for WHATEVER
Tax credit qualifying would be optimal - but not necessary.
I currently have no wood stove or fireplace.
Nope none without glass. Very few without glass at all. Some of the sbi noncats qualify for the tax credit as of right now

Look at Drolet stoves.

Yes, the Drolet Fox fits the bill here.

Huh guess I was wrong

There aren't many, even the little Morso 2b now has a tiny window.

I almost got the fox a couple years ago. Went with something else. But it was on my short list.

They list a 5 hour burn time… ugh.

My friend has a lopi patriot in his hunting cabin. 1.6 cubic foot firebox, similar to the 1.55 cubic foot box of the Drolet fox. I managed to squeeze 7 hours of reasonable heat out of that thing exactly once in the last ten years. Other than that it’s mostly about 5 hours. Makes for some cold mornings.

They list a 5 hour burn time… ugh.

My friend has a lopi patriot in his hunting cabin. 1.6 cubic foot firebox, similar to the 1.55 cubic foot box of the Drolet fox. I managed to squeeze 7 hours of reasonable heat out of that thing exactly once in the last ten years. Other than that it’s mostly about 5 hours. Makes for some cold mornings.
Thats probably an honest assessment. If we are talking about useable heat, you’d probably be reloading every 3-4 hrs unless you altered the air flow from factory design.

Remove the glass, install a black painted steel plate. Come time to sell it, reinstall the glass.

Reactions: BobcatBranch
I have a USSC log model I call it. Basically a cast iron rectangle with no glass. I know its not for everyone, but it works fine for me. Just a thought...