Any of these pellets good?

tmsjava

May 8, 2018
Massachusetts

jackhammer

Burning Hunk
Aug 21, 2015
western ma
Softwood have less ash, more heat and cost more. If you can get to Monson, I buy my pellets from Squire Lumber. They have a good selection. They deliver depending on your location, I’m in Brimfield. I didn’t see prices on the ones you are looking at, I would get the Lacrete or Energex. Your Harman stove will burn anything really so it’s a matter of how often you want to clean and how much you want to spend. I wasn’t able to get a great deal on anything this year so I bought 3 tons of Vermont wood pellets for $300/ton. I would read some reviews on the ones you are looking at and maybe try 2 different kinds. Some folks buy 10 bags of one, 10 of another to see how they burn in their stove. Lots of good opinions here, lots of experience!

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
agree...
hardwoods do not leave Less ash..I stopped buying hardwoods because of that.
some better brands of hardwoods leave less than others..Cubbies maybe?
I would deffinitly go with the LaCretes which are a Sprucewood.. i burned a ton couple years ago.
burned Energex hardwoods which left a lot of ash but never the Energex blend..

Pete Zahria

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2014
New Hampster
mcmanusfuels.com
We have 8 brands of pellets. More than anyone around.
All softwood, except for one blend.
For the woodburners turned pellet burners..

Of those brands. I like the LaCrete..
Actually I like them any way!

Dan

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
I have burned multiple types of pellets in my Mini A... including softwood like LaCrete's, but nothing has performed like Nothern by Lauzon. I was told the mini likes hardwoods.. not sure if it was sound advice but it works for me. The heat is undeniable but the ash is a bit more than the LaCretes. I have a difficult time running my stove on low for any period of time and the Northerns for some reason make it easier to do so.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
in the shoulder season, my glass get's dirty quicker from the on/off cycle thruout the day with a bit more ash.
cheap pellets or top of the line softwoods, same deal..[although the cheaper pellets do make a mound of ash]...
so, i just burn the same softwoods from fall to spring. makes no difference for me to have a shoulder pellet
when my stove starts to run 24/7, then the difference is very noticeable.
less ash/cleaner glass..

Jake86

Burning Hunk
Oct 8, 2015
Plymouth, Massachusetts
We have 8 brands of pellets. More than anyone around.
All softwood, except for one blend.
For the woodburners turned pellet burners..

Of those brands. I like the LaCrete..
Actually I like them any way!

Dan
Just got three tons Lacrete. Used North Country last year-good heat but a lot of ash. Hope the Lacrete's work out. Seems you like them.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
After 17 years of using pellets, all I burn now is Cubix 9000 BTU .3% ash
so that, . 12 lbs of ash per 40 lb bag. The light fully ash of softwood plugged my stove
But teast out a bunch of brands and see what you like.

Pete Zahria

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2014
New Hampster
mcmanusfuels.com
Just got three tons Lacrete. Used North Country last year-good heat but a lot of ash. Hope the Lacrete's work out. Seems you like them.
I do like LaCrete.. If it were the only pellet I could get, I would never complain. :)
Did not use many last year, only because I tried some others.
The LaCrete, often seemed like more ash,
however, I always found it to be very fluffy.. meaning, to me, there was not
more ash, just more volume..
In other words, equal volume, between two brands, the LaCrete weighed less..
I am using some this year...

Dan

Reactions: Jake86

sandpipe

Feb 24, 2010
Massachusetts
I guess these are the types of pellets that one of our local dealers has generally. I was told hardwood is the way to go (less ash?). I'll check what types of pellets our local stove dealer has when they get some in. For now, this is what I found locally:

https://amherstfarmerssupply.com/p/68/Stove-Fuels-Wood-Pellets,-Coal-and-Bio-Bricks

Thanks,
T.
Hi, I see you received lots of good pellet suggestions in this thread. I live near Greenfield and tested and then purchased 6 tons of Fireside Ultra (mixed blend) from the Home Depot there. I can't imagine any expensive high end pellet being much better, especially as far as cost vs. btu goes. The FU's I picked up are quite hot, ash is not super low but is quite decent and and the price last I checked was $219 +$70 delivery on 6 tons. I don't know if you would need so many tons but I think it was $239 per ton on less than 6. I would highly recommend you test out several bags of the Fireside Ultra (if still available) to compare to the more expensive pellets before you commit.

I have a friend who prefers to not purchase his pellets from HD because he would rather pay more and support smaller local companies and I respect his point of view but I cannot afford that luxury.

Best of luck with your quest!

CarolCR

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Locally available to me are Lignetics...any experience with these? I have not investigated what is sold st HD as a few friends have said they are fairly inconsistent