any opinions on the Traeger Model GBU-070 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steelman

Feb 7, 2012
east central ohio
local business has an over stock. says its new. retails for around $4,000 but he has it for sale for $1,200 read just a little on the web anyone have experience with it? i think it is a model of Pennical?

was considering the St Croix Revolution but the price is right for the Traeger.
thanks for all and any response.

jim

I don't have experience with it, but as a Revolution owner I wished I'd looked into it more before I jumped on the Rev. I'd give the Treager a real close look, especially at that price, and local, responsive dealer support after the sale would be a major factor.

slangtruth said:
....I'd give the Treager a real close look, especially at that price, and local, responsive dealer support after the sale would be a major factor.

I agree. But make VERY sure that that low price isn't a "take it out and I never want to see or work on it again" deal from the seller. Dealer support is going to be critical, especially for something made way up in British Columbia. Also, is the FULL manufacturers warranty still in effect?

I seen that ad on Craiglist today also. It says its brand new.

From what I found from Google, it seems to be a pretty solid unit. If he would take $1,000, thats a 75% discount. Has a 1200 CFM blower and the unit is new. I investigated because it does seem like a Great Deal????

Have you talked to him? I paid $2,000 for my Fahrenheit after it was used for 1 season. That seems like a decent price.....

As a Pinnacle dealer I'd say if it is truly "New" that is a steal. They actually retail for closer to $5000 now. Not worth it at 5k, 4K, 3K...maybe...2K I'd buy it 1K..grab it.

Remember, its not really a "furnace" Just a glorified shop heater kinda like the St Croix.

They work fine and most Pinnacle dealers keep the replacement parts right in stock.

thanks for the reply's.
called and text-ed him with no response. maybe gone. nice price but would want auto start, self clean etc. but if those options are unreliable then maybe GBU would be "as good " as the Fahrenheit ot the revolution.

i was hoping this was the time of year to buy a pellet furnace. boy has the price gone up in the last 3, 4 years for the same furnaces that they were selling 10 years ago. same with pellets. the price per ton was $170 for 10 years and now this year it jumped to $240. wish i had natural gas and i wouldn't be thinking of pellets. solar storage is looking better all the time.

jim

What size home are you looking to heat with the furnace? Maybe some folks can offer some suggestions. Also, describe the layout and what your goals are.

1,700 sqft ranch. 2x4 construction so i say poorly insulated. full basement. i have forced air propane so anything is cheaper. i have 2 wood stoves and we do all right. getting tired of the wood thing. looking for less work/ less time spent.
have kicked around the idea of a pellet boiler just seem to long to pay back. looked at the PB 150, PF100, Revolution, the Fahrenheit, and a few others.
would like to purchase this spring.
allways wanted to some solar hydro heat. so the boiler seems to be the easy way to use both. but forced air is just about as easy. also have a pole barn, would like to use a pellet boiler like the smaller hydroflex 60.
thanks for the interest. just looking at as many options as i can. maybe a forced air pellet with a good track record as i dont need another hobby, just a cheaper way to heat.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.