Any opinions on these models for gas insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bippobappo

Jan 6, 2023
NY
Hi all,

I’m a total newbie looking for some advice.
After realizing gas is our best option since we want ambience/aesthetics over needing heat since the space is heated already, we spoke to a few local fireplace stores and got their suggestions of what would work. But I’ve never done this before and have no clue about brands/models so I’m reaching out to get some more opinions.

Because our flue is smallish (maybe 5” liner) and our fireplace is also small (just 23” wide,
32” tall and 8” deep) since it was for coal, we’re looking at smaller gas inserts, though they will still extend beyond the fireplace into the room a bit and that’s ok.

Here’s some of what the different stores recommended:

Kozy heat bayport 36

Valor portrait or H series

34 DVL Gas Fireplace InsertDeluxe Ember-Glow by Fireplace Xtrordinair

The valor portrait is really the perfect fit for the opening but it seems like the viewing area is super small at just about 15x16”. If we’re going to go through all this expense it feels like it’s worth it to go with something slightly bigger even if that means taking out or chipping away some bricks… right?

Any thoughts on these or recommendations to look into? Photos attached.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

049EA181-7BC8-4099-9DF4-A914D6E35305.jpeg C83E70E7-2EC4-4079-BFA0-CE589BBE21D2.jpeg E1FBF35E-A45F-48D6-9E4B-212723687E71.jpeg