Any Petromax Owners out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I picked up a new Petromax lantern recently mostly for the novelty of it. Incredibly complicated German craftsman ship to burn pressurized kerosene in a lantern. They seem to be popular with the Amish. I see various You Tube videos on repair and operation as they do seem to get out of adjustment.

Any hints or words or wisdom?

They look a lot like the Coleman units that use white gas.
So these use kerosene instead? Interesting.

I don't have a Petromax but do have a Coleman that runs on kerosene. I haven't used it yet though. :)
Apropos of nothing, I do have a bunch of Aladdin mantle lamps, but they are non-pressurized..
I would think that diesel has the potential of being smelly. I think if I were to try this, I would extinguish the lantern outside of the house. On my Aladdins the wick seems to continue to draw fuel and tends to be smelly on shutdown. On startup, not so much so. I think the mantles on these lamps tend to eliminate the stinkiness when glowing.